GideonTech.com Forums

• May 27, 2022, 07:56:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Acer 1410 - netbook killer?  (Read 20731 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Acer 1410 - netbook killer?
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »

I've been playing with this new Acer 1410 I got a few days ago ($399 from BJs). Here are some specs:

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium ; 32-bit version;
Intel® Core™2 Solo Processor SU3500 (3MB L2 cache, 1.40GHz, 800MHz FSB);
2GB (2/0) DDR2 667 SDRAM;
250GB hard drive;
5-in-1 card reader;
Acer® CineCrystal 11.6" WXGA (1366 x 768) TFT display;
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD;
802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN, gigabit LAN,
webcam802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN,
gigabit LAN,
webcam,
diamond black chassis

I have a 12" Dell 700m, two Dell Minis, and a Dell Latitude D820 at home. This unit replaced all of them because it is JUST that good.

The only thing I changed was bumping the ram up to 4GB and installing Win7 x64. All the drivers installed on their own, which was a very weird but satisfying feeling. It's only a little over 3lbs and beats the pants of the Atom cpu. Anyone else have one of these?

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Acer 1410 - netbook killer?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »

That's a hell of a good PC for $400, much better than a Atom based netbook for sure.  I too got rid of my netbook and I'm not looking back.  I replaced my MSI Wind U120 with an HP nc2400 that I got on eB@y refurb'd for ~$240.  Here is the same laptop refurb'd from Tigerdirect.

Clear advantages:
CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
Core Duo CPU
1280x800 resolution

Clear disadvantages:
Lacks webcam/microphone
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

For now I don't like netbooks, I'm very happy with my laptop.
I'm going to take it to 4GB, but I would love to take it to 8GB, but it's too expensive. I need it for virtualization.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »

I'd deffo replace my netbook with yer rig, Ed! Do you know if they have any plans loading Win7 x64 (when released) off the shelf or will I have to do it manually as you did?

I still <3 my Acer Aspire despite it running off an Atom and only 1GB of RAM. It's really useful for those trips where you don't want to carry a 15" (or even 12" laptop). Granted, hotel room WiFi are a rip-off ($24/day?!), it was easy for WinXP to tether off my WinMo smartphone.  :)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

The problem with atom netbooks is generally not the processor, it's the video card. I wouldn't mind trying out an Nvidia Ion based netbook personally.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:19:56 AM »

Oh, I see. Hmmm.. I didn't plan on running any games on the Atom, though now that I think of it, I guess I want to install Civ2 on there (or Civ3 if it can take it.). Those are fun games to play when stuck in an airport or summat! :)

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »

The problem with atom netbooks is generally not the processor, it's the video card.

I tend to disagree that the video card is "the problem".  It's a problem, but for those of us like me who like to be able to do run two OSs at the same time when they are doing development on the go then a dual-core CPU with virtualization support and the ability to have more than 2GB of RAM almost necessary. 

A netbook's advantages are price and portability.  I'm not saying that an Ion netbook might not be nicer than Intel's crap graphics (it would be much nicer).  Ed's laptop with an x4500 chipset should be decent for most mediocre gaming and much better in other performance areas.  The x4500 is by far better than the GMA950 chipset.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

I guess when I say the problem, I am referring to with a primary use, the web browser. If you can't properly view streaming video, its a problem.

As for developing on the go with virtualization support, I can't imagine typing on one of those keyboards or using its mouse for anything more than a brief session, so the thought honestly never crossed my mind.

You can get higher than most specd dual core Atom netbooks. (BTW, a core2 solo is 1 core. Hence the SOLO), though I think your processor would still be quicker.

You should be able to play Civ2 on just about anything. Civ3... maybe.

PS: I dislike Intel, so I'm not trying to defend them. I'm just saying is all. Gid's Acer is a good computer, but its not going to kill netbooks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:47:36 PM by urgannagru »

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

Ed, i REALLLLY wanted to argue with you on this one.  I set out to find a dual core netbook that could hang with your Acer, and I couldn't find anything.  Thats actually a fantastic deal, imo...

Only thing i can think of is that 12" isnt really netbook territory.  The Sony R505 i had throughout college was 12" with a P3...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »

You can get higher than most specd dual core Atom netbooks. (BTW, a core2 solo is 1 core. Hence the SOLO), though I think your processor would still be quicker.

I feel dumb for not reading "Solo" now.  :P  I guess I just assumed since my Core CPU was a Core Duo that his Core 2 CPU was a Core 2 Duo.  Woops.

I guess when I say the problem, I am referring to with a primary use, the web browser. If you can't properly view streaming video, its a problem.

I totally agree.  I couldn't view Youtube or any other video site in HD or even "high quality" on my netbook.  My little nc2400 plows right through those with ease though and I would venture a bet that Ed's doesn't have an issue either.  The Ion platform would help, you are right.

Doesn't Ion have lower power consumption than Intel's crummy chipset too?
~ Wierd Al
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.