GideonTech.com Forums

• October 06, 2022, 07:14:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i7 Temps?  (Read 4546 times)

Lleu

• GT Fanatic
i7 Temps?
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »

Hi guys, long story short, my motherboard tanked so I decided to upgrade. 

I went with the i7 920.  It seems to be running extremely hot.  I'm using the stock heat sink, I've triple checked to make sure its seated properly.  Before installed the heat sink I removed the stock thermal grease and replaced it with Zalman "Super grease" that I used in my last build and it worked wonderfully.  The system has only run for about 6 hours and this is the first stock heatsink that I've used out of 3 builds that I've done so I might just be paranoid.  I have a few questions for you.  Are the temps outside the "safezone"  I've read that the i7 runs fairly hot but the numbers that I've been reading are closer to 65-70c.  If the temps don't decrease in a few days as the grease sets, should I consider an after market cooler?  I don't do any over clocking so if the temps are fine where they are I can stop worrying about it.

Thanks guys!

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: i7 Temps?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »

No, that's really hot!  GPUs are occasionally allowable in that range, but over 50C isn't to comfy for a CPU.  Are you sure the heatsink is seated right?  Is the heatsink hot?  If it's really 84C on the CPU and the heatsink is on right then the heatsink should be VERY hot to the touch.  Can you feel heat radiating off of it?
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Lleu

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »

Wow, what a difference a good heatsink makes!  I went with the SpinQ from Thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106123 and now the CPU is in it's happy place [img=http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1997/cputemps2.th.jpg]

Thanks for confirming my fears blafrisch :D

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »

I too have an i7 920 but i don't use the same temp sensor you do.

i honestly don't know which temp is the right one. it shows temps for all the cores. but then there's that one temp that is always hot. any ideas?

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:12:58 AM »

nobody?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 33 queries.