GideonTech.com Forums

• October 06, 2022, 07:10:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video card advice please?  (Read 6102 times)

inihl8r

• Case Mod Weenie
Video card advice please?
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:38:11 AM »

I'm currently running a 9600XT, but would like to upgrade a step or two with an Nvidia card.
Any AGP suggestions that won't break my budget of $150 or so? :undec:

Aglar

• Elite Modder
Re: Video card advice please?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:52:42 PM »

Well, your budget limits you. You could go with a 6600GT like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

Or if you can squeeze out a few more dollars I'd probably go with this 6800:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140067
Since it has more pixel pipelines and a 256 -bit memory interface vs. the 6600GT's 128-bit.

I'm sure I don't have to warn you th at AGP is a dying technology, and depending on your system you might be better off with a CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade than a video card. I haven't seen your system specs so it's your call.

inihl8r

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »

Thanks Aglar.
I haven't been keeping up with the video card advancements since my 2.4ghz CPU upgrade days, so it's been a while.

I have been looking into the whole PCI-E (or whatever it's called) combos, but I tend not to majorly upgrade until the software warrants it.

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 05:33:07 PM »

I think what Aglar is hinting at but didn't mention directly is that NO new AGP cards (any worth purchasing at least) are being made. So basically, if you were to buy a new AGP card, you would 1st) be forced to buy a 1 generation old card such as the ATI Xxx0 series cards or nvidia 6x00 series cards, as opposed to the latest generation PCIe ATI Xxx00 cards and nvidia 7x00 cards. 2nd) You would not be able to use that card with a new motherboard. Chances are if you buy the video card, you will wait at least 6 months before buying a new cpu/motherboard/ram upgrade, and by that time, you will not see any AGP slots. Ever since PCIe came out, and maybe for another year, there are boards with AGP that take the latest CPUs (S939 for AMD 64 CPUs, LGA775 for intel CPUs). However, even today, these boards lack features found in true "modern CPU" motherboards, such as SLI/crossfire, and are unlikely to keep up with new boards with the latest chipsets. So in the future, the void between these AGP boards and modern PCIe boards in terms of features and quality will only grow, and in a year maybe, these boards will either be gone, or just not worth buying. Also, the next time another big CPU release happens (a new socket specifically), I cannot imagine there will be a single AGP chipset that supports those CPUs, so really, this current generation of CPUs will be the LAST with AGP solutions, if you'd even consider it a solution instead of a "hack".

So I guess if you plan to stick with this system for a while and have no interest in re-using your new video card, go agp, otherwise, wait until you can upgrade it all. It is a pretty sh*tty situation, things like this seem to always happen ever few years in the computer industry, where upgrading single parts  which is the norm is no longer feasable and multiple upgrades must be done.

As for video card suggestions, I'd suggest a Geforce 6800 variant (6800XT or something like that crosses my mind) if you decide to stick with AGP, and if you decide to go PCIe, best bang for the buck is currently the 6800GS, however i'd wait until a 7600 comes out to complete the 7 series of cards and act as a more budget/mainstream solution. For latest generation of nvidia cards, the only avaliable cards are the 7800s which are pretty expensive and over the budget of most people looking for a mainstream card and not the "latest and greatest".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 05:46:41 PM by nemattoad »
My sig goes here

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »

AGP cards are also more expensive than their PCIe equivalent in some cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.