GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 04:23:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line out amplifier?  (Read 9295 times)

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
Line out amplifier?
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:32:14 AM »

So recently my home theater has been rounded out with a Sony receiver, which is a wonderful and welcome addition that brings me Dolby and DTS decoding as well as unified volume control across inputs. I have a nice setup going with a dedicated HTPC, Xbox, HDTV, Logitech Harmony remote, and great sounding Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers. Unfortunately, these speakers are meant for computers, not receivers, but to my luck they aren't exclusive. All the satellites work great with the receiver, and it is possible to get the sub line sent to the subwoofer via an RCA to 1/8in cable. Sadly, this sub signal arrangement is less than perfect.

Initially, I tried a direct connection which led to a very present hum and next to tragic sound quality through the sub. So I did my homework and identified the problem as an impedance mismatch which is better understood as the signal having too low of a level. Using my MacGuyver-esque resources, I grabbed my (musical recording) mixer that can take a line signal and output it at a normal level. You see, the sub is expecting a slightly amplified signal, as per usual from a soundcard's output. Now it works beautifully and am enjoying my sound system as I should.

Now that I have the problem fixed in a way that it is working, it's time to find a more permanent solution. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for to throw in-line here, other than obviously it's a signal amplifier. Are any of you familiar with what kind of product I would be looking for? Better yet where I could score one for cheap?

YucA

• Elite Modder
Re: Line out amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

Search for headphone amps.  If you want to be a true audiophile, you can even get a small tube amp...

http://www.headwize.com/projects/cmoy5_prj.htm

That might be a bit overkill and too high fidelity for what you want, but it'll look badass and play the part...

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:55:04 AM »

Thanks YucA, after much hunting and further research, I've got my roommate (compsci major) building a CMoy amp into my recently deceased iPod's gutted case.

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »

nice!  ive heard those are pretty nice...

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

Well, we'll find out in a couple weeks when the opamp gets here... damn cross-pacific shipping!

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

opamps!  They're fun to play with :thumbsup:

I doubt you'll be dissappointed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 33 queries.