GideonTech.com Forums

• October 02, 2022, 10:36:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATI (Well... AMD) Support in Linux  (Read 5056 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
ATI (Well... AMD) Support in Linux
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »

I have been nothing but pleased with nVidia support in OpenSuSE when it comes to full 3D support, as well as overclocking ect... Now I have been thinking about upgrading to a new video card, and have not ruled out ATI mainly because of Crossfire support on my mobo.

So, do ATI cards have as good driver support or will I hate myself forever because of piss poor drivers or *gasp* no 3d support?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: ATI (Well... AMD) Support in Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »

i remember reading recently that amd/ati was going to release linux drivers with their (new?) video cards at release, same time as all the others. they've come a long way in terms of linux support, at least so i hear. can't say i have ever tried ati, as on windows i prefer nvidia by a mile, mostly based on drivers.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »

ati driver support sucks even for windows. i wont bother with them again. ymmv.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »

I've heard the problem with ATI is more of excess.

They've suddenly started to kickstart the open-source projects, and now there are like three drivers, each with different goals and levels of success, and the development pace is breakneck.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »

I used a laptop running fedora core for a couple years with radeon x1400 video using the ati linux drivers and they worked fine.  I didn't do any 3d gaming in linux though, and I wouldn't suggest it.  I don't even know anyone who's using crossfire in linux so I don't know if it can even be done.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

Yeah, most likely I will never be using SLI of either flavor due to the fact that I play games only after they are a year or so old, so SLI support is not needed, I just wanted to see if I should even bother pricing out ATI cards.

From the look of it I will be going with a 8800 series card with as much ram as I can get strapped to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 33 queries.