GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 05:13:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error Loading OS  (Read 3786 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Error Loading OS
« on: June 14, 2008, 07:26:13 AM »

Ok, I had to move hard drives around so the new video card would FIT. I then put in an SATA DVD-RW drive (replacing my regular IDE DVD-RW). I tried to keep the hard drives in their proper order, but I managed to drop an IDE cable b/c now i hav 2 IDE hard drives and an SATA hd. I have the OS loaded on a 20 gig hd set as master on the IDE bus.

So, the problem is, if i start up the computer with any Windows XP install CD in the drive it starts up fine (no hitting space bar, just leave it alone and it starts up) However, if i take out that XP cd, it stop mid boot just after what appears to be right after the "attempting to load cd" part with "Error loading OS".

any thoughts would be awsome

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
Re: Error Loading OS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »

Try booting off of the XP cd, load the recovery console, and run FIXMBR on your OS HDD. It might fix your issue.

You also might want to check if your OS HDD is on the 1st or 2nd (IDE 0 or 1) chain. If it is on the 1st chain, you should try booting the os drive when it is hooked up as master on IDE 0.

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »

Actually, i forgot to mention i tried fixmbr from the recovery console off the winxp cd.  It said it fixed it, but i didn't actually.  It does come up with the OS HDD as IDE0 in the bios.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »

Try removing your other hdds, cd / dvd drives and usb attached hdds / memory card readers and see if that changes anything.

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »

Check the BIOS for the HDD boot master setting.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
    • DeamonVengence
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:17 AM »

Well, it seems the HDD that has my OS loaded on it is finally dying. one of my more computer savvy friends came to help me with it. It went from error loading OS to Missing or corrupt file "system32\config\system" so then i chkdsk the system, fixed that, got a different error, did chkdsk again with checking for badsectors and got the "system" file bad again, so i'm just going to fresh install, it's about time I did one anyway, been running on that particular install since 2004.  Also i'm making my SATA drive the main OS drive now too, so hopefully i should seen an improvement in preformance too.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

zton82005

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:49:44 AM »

I also encountered that kind of problem before.. Have you tried checking the bios?  Maybe your first boot device is the cd/dvd rom and not the hardisk with the os in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 33 queries.