GideonTech.com Forums

• August 13, 2022, 08:00:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Keys.  (Read 3839 times)

DeamonMachine

• Senior Modder
  • Yar, Pass me the Impact!
    • DeamonVengence
Keyboard Keys.
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

Well, here is my dilemma. I have a kensington keyboard, and i feel as thought the keys are a bit.. tough, or difficult to push. I've had this keyboard for a couple years, but for some reason it's just getting to me with it's seeming 'stickyness'. I've taken the keys off, cleaned it, make sure there wasn't actually anything stuck on it, but to no avail. So i went out and bought a new Logitec MX3200 Cordless desktop set. I was very disappointed with the fact that the keys felt the same. They all have this quiet key technology. I'm guessing that is what is making my wrists hurt.

Being a mechanic by day, and a computer nerd at night. I'm kinda screwed where it comes to carpal tunnels. So I'm trying to make it as easy on my wrists as i possibly can. So are there any suggestions as to what I can do to make my keyboard type easier, more like the old fashion "clicky" loud keyboard w/o having to get one of them out of the closet?

i do love my wireless ability, but my hands hurt after awhile at the computer.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Yar! I'm a Pirate!

~Link~

• Senior Modder
    • Project 365
Re: Keyboard Keys.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »

Well, I found a link to a company that purchased the rights to the old IBM keyboards back in 1996, and they are apparently still making them.  There are a few keyboards that look more modern, but still retain the buckling spring design. Link

I don't know about wireless versions of this keyboard, but it might make an interesting mod project for you.  :P

[edit]
This company seems to make modern keyboards that all feature buckling spring action.  Particularly of note are their wireless and gaming keyboard lines, which I'm now considering purchasing myself.  Unfortunately their shops are only in Europe, so you'll end up paying extra for shipping if you decide to go that route.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:20:27 PM by ~Link~ »
1 photo per day, for 1 year.  http://checkonetwo.ca

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »

there are 3 basic keyboard types:
springs (old clackity clack type IBM ones)
scissor switch (like a laptop keyboard) - my fav and what i buy for all my computers
el cheapo rubber bubbles (the most common, and least awesome type)

whatever yours is, you might want to try one of the other kinds

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »

IBM keyboards are now labeled "Lenovo" but I found out that it was bought out by another company, too... But yah, I have the same problem finding the 'perfect' keyboard. If you can go to your local Office Depot/Staples/Best Buy and try the keyboards out to see which one you like, then find it online for cheaper, then I think that would work. Also, sometimes, the cheapo, no-name ones have the best tactile feel.

This is similar to the keyboard I use right now (except, mine's not wireless); it's not spongy but not exactly clickity but it's close enough to the old skool one that I used to have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000799LP4

zton82005

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »

Your best solution would be buying a new keyboard. have you seen that Die Hard 4 movie? Why not use that kind of keyboard whre you just  can simply fold it..  ;)

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Call me crazy but my mom came back last week with a bunch of old school keyboards. Yes I coated them in Purex.

You say you don't want to lose the wirelessness but you want the oldschooness....hmmmm do I feel a mod coming on?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:47 PM »

The pain in your hands is most likely related to the way you type and less on the hardware.

I just got a new job and they take ergonomics here pretty seriously.  I had an eval done and they told me all the things I'm doing wrong.

unfortunately, it's a trial and error thing.  First thing is to make sure your hands are in the proper position for typing.  A wrist rest may help.  Also your chair setup is crucial to getting the right position.  second, try an ergonomic keyboard- it's essential for me as I have broad shoulders and the normal keyboards force my wrists to bend unnaturally.  lastly, there are wristrests that actually attach to mice that might have an effect if you mouse a lot.

sorry if you already know this but I've been doing this work a long time and I never knew how much stuff I was doing wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 34 queries.