GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 05:55:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emachines t2385 problem  (Read 6861 times)

pn8830

• Case Mod Weenie
Emachines t2385 problem
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

Hello Everyone,
I have a problem with my t2385 pc that I have bought about 5 years ago. For whatever reason when I try to turn it on the power LED would come green (as expected) HDD LED would be constantly lit, HDD does some movement and then stops. The screen remains black and nothing is happening. Does anyone had similar experience? What kind of problem could it indicate?
Thank You,
PN

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Emachines t2385 problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »

Have you changed any parts recently?

You may have a power supply problem.  PCs like that typically have a very weak PSU.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »

Yeah, it does sound like a PSU issue (or a shot mobo, I just recently worked on the same system and the mobo up and died one day) good luck though, it uses a standard ATX psu, so changing it out will be simple.

Now, I don't have the case anymore, so I am not sure if it is a standard size ATX PSU.

I would pull the mobo and such out of the case and assemble it on a workbench (or any other non conductive surface) hook up only what you need to boot it (just the psu, hdd, ram, and video card) and see if you can turn it on. You may need to either pull the power switch out of the case, or use a screw driver to short the power switch pins. I would pull the power switch, led bracket out of the case just to make it easier though.

If that still does not work, find someone who has a spare ATX PSU and test the system with that. If the new PSU works, and the new PSU is larger than the old one, you are going to need to pick up a new case to rebuild the system in.

pn8830

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »

Thank You all for your answers. I have not changed hw configuration lately. I went ahead and disassembled everything to examine a motherboard and now, when I put everything back together the PC will not power up :( I'm pretty sure that I did everything correctly 'cos I made a pretty detailed drawing. It just will not react to the power switch (and there is not chance I mixed up power switch wire - it's not possible to connect it differently). Let me look for a power supply.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »

You can also try powering up without the power connectors in. Make sure the ATX plug is connected and short the two power pins on the motherboard. This will at least tell you if your power leads are bad.

Or, try a new PSU :)

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

pn8830

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »

Thanks, I tried to short circuit them... no difference. I have a different question though. I found a different power supply that I want to try but there are two issues:

1. The other power supply does not have P8 connector. I's a square connector with two yellow and two black wires. The original one has it. What it it for? Can I just made it from unused floppy drive wires?

2. The original unit is 250W and the other one is 235W there is just 15W difference, is it ok?

Thanks,
PN

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »

The 15w difference should not be much of an issue, but I would rather see you get a nice new 350w psu. It will have the 12v (p8 as you put it) aux power for the proc built in. Mainly the age of your replacement PSU worries me because it does not have the 12v connector that they have been putting on psus for at least the last 6 years.

Now, you could scrap the old 12v connector from your old psu, and then tie it to one of the 12v lines on a HDD / CD power molex

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

I didn't realise how bad OEM PSUs were until recently.

I had to knock down a new (3 or 4 months) Compaq A64-4000+ at the office because the hard disc was acting weird, so we wanted to try to hook it to another PC and try to recover data.

It didn't have SATA plugs, it had those cheater cords they include with SATA optical drives.  The fact a new PC had an IDE optical drive as well is another issue.

It didn't have a 24-pin motherboard plug, so four sockets on the mainboard were empty.

This is beyond cutting corners-- you expect a huge global OEM would at least be able to pair parts that go together well.

pn8830

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »

Thanks to everyone who answered! I have made this workaround with aux power and I'm back in business.
Let's see how long it will last ;) In fact the replacement unit is old. I took it from a PC that was in the garage for about a year now.
Thanks a Lot!
PN

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »

Well, the important part is that the rig is fixed! It always sucks when you swap out a dead psu, and it managed to take other parts of the system down with it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 33 queries.