GideonTech.com Forums

• August 17, 2022, 02:48:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wonky Power supply ?  (Read 3473 times)

CptCafne

• Senior Modder
Wonky Power supply ?
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:51:53 PM »

Ok, so over the past few months I have been having issues with various HDs.  Now my latest 500gig is acting up, not loading when system boots, dropping in middle of use etc.  Seeing as this is the third HD I have replaced, I decided to look at my PSU.  I currently have a Antec true power 550 in my rig, about a year old at this point.  Running MBM5 and Speed fan I get some odd results.  Not sure if it is the fact they can't read my motherboard correctly or what.  So I turn to the collected wisdom of GT.  I checked out several different PSU calculators, but the answers varies between 550w (from Asus) to 684w.  Should my 550 be enough to power all this, or do I need to upgrade asap ?

Asus M2n4-SLI
AMD 64 X2 4200
4 gig memory
500 GB Sata HD x2
Geforce 6800 x2(SLI)
DVD-ROM
DVD RW/DL
120mm fans x2
92mm
and aout 5 usb devices at any given time
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:10:23 PM by CptCafne »

Thanks to DJ Bowen

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
Re: Wonky Power supply ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »

Have you checked out your voltages manually yet?

I'm also trying to diagnose my hard locking issues (I am now pretty sure it has to do with .net in XP x64) and used SpeedFan to check my voltages. It told me my 12v was at 8.18v but my multimeter gives me a solid 12.05v

CptCafne

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:06:02 AM »

unfortunately, I canna find my tester.  probably up in the attic from when I moved...a year ago.  And I have had this issue with both XP and Vista 32. 

Thanks to DJ Bowen

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:09:50 AM »

Change your SATA cables?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »

6800s are power hungry cards (any high end cards are) and in SLI they might be taking all of the energy, but only when in full use. Then again its not like there is lots of stuff in there other than those that require power.

You also might just have a bad PSU line going to the hard drives if they are the only ones that are failing.

The only way I would know to find out for sure (when youre measuring tools fail you) is to try a spare PSU, but not many people have a spare high power PSU lying around.

Have all of the hard drives been the same kind? If so, it could just be a high failure rate with that particular drive (kind of like the old IBM deathstars)

You might be overheating your hard drives causing them to fail early. I've had that happen before, but with only 2 of them in your system it seems unlikely.

CptCafne

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »

I have changed cables, and I think even the power line going to the drives.  And the two drives are right behind one of the 120 fans.  And different model drives.  looks like it comes down to finding another PSU.  unless my MB as a whole is failing, since I have even tried different sata ports.  Plus the other drives were IDE.  Now, if I had another deice to put them in...say an Eagle Consus, I would be able to use that to test drive performance.  But alas, I do not.

Thanks to DJ Bowen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 34 queries.