GideonTech.com Forums

• August 17, 2022, 12:14:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best mic maybe headset for PC gaming  (Read 2800 times)

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
best mic maybe headset for PC gaming
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »

My friend and I are pretty avid TF2 players but really need some sort of mic setup. What we both want is basically just a mic not really a headset. I've been looking at getting a bluetooth dongle and a bluetooth headset like what you use on cell phones. Is it possible to use those as just a mic or would sound go through the ear piece as well? i've already got a nice sennheizer headset so I'd rather not blow money on another headset/mic combo.

Do you guys have any suggestions for something along those lines?

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
Re: best mic maybe headset for PC gaming
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

The LAN center I go to uses headsets with rumble packs in them, they're actually pretty amazing. http://edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=5d209e5705d4d04c28d63cc03fb0b0c1

I actually bought a pair when they were upgraded to the new orange ones. I like them a lot. I personally don't see a big difference between the orange ones besides the point that they're USB only now. They might hold together better too.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »

the thing about bluetooth headsets (at least the kind you use with phones) is that they're designed such that they will capture sounds coming from in front of them, where your mouth is. chances are your speakers are also in front of you, pointing at your face/headset, transferring all of your game sounds directly at them, annoyingly loudly.

to answer your question if its possible to use them not as earpieces, i believe some are made that clip onto shirts instead of sit on your ear.

what i use for game chat is a usb desktop microphone, positioned behind my speakers, with both pointing at me. i specifically use the usb one that logitech makes. its great to have a usb mic IMO because it works independent of soundcards and their various volume settings and differences.

i think it cost me maybe $35, which made it one of the few mics that was actually in my price range

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

I was looking at one of those newegg desktop mics and they're only like 20 bucks now or 8.50 for a non usb one. the bluetooth approach for me is good/bad because I only play games with my headphones on so interference from the speakers won't be a problem for me. but the problem with that is that i'll have a set of headphones on my ears so a bluetooth headset wouldn't really work. I think I'll have to go for a desktop mic. Is there any advantage for USB over normal stereo input?

what about a single in ear mic? are there any good ones?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »

the thing i liked about usb was the independence from the soundcard. sometimes soundcards have really crappy mic inputs that pickup almost nothing even though the mic is plugged in and works fine in another system. if you have a good soundcard then it might not be a problem.

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »

i've got a brand new core system (gigabyte SLI board, AMD 64 X2 2.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram and an 8800GTS). The sound on this is pretty good. but for 20 bucks i guess it couldn't hurt to try out a desktop mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 34 queries.