GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 05:42:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: raid questions  (Read 1617 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
raid questions
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

software? hardware? i don't know. anyways...

is there a way to do a mirror raid with one large disk, one small disk, and partition the large disk so you can still use the extra space?

freaking seagate sent me a warranty replacement that wasn't the same model (at least its larger). i probably should have requested the same one since i am using it to do a mirror raid.

ps: its standard nvraid hardware and a couple of sata drives (320 and 500)

oh, and will there be any problems later on down the road if the a disk in the mirror should fail (since they are different sizes)?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:32:07 AM by urgannagru »

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
Re: raid questions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »

If you set up hardware RAID (Striping or Mirroring) the drives will be set up using the smallest drive as a baseline. So your mirrored drive setup will be a max of 320gb (nominal) and your striped set will be a max of 640gb (nominal). You could using Windows XP or *nix use software raid to partition the larger drive to get the 320gb mirror working, and then having the aditional ~180gb running as a second partition, but I really have never trusted software based raid.

To keep it safe, you would be better off just making the two drives into a 320gb Mirrored array.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: raid questions
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »

alrighty, thanks. i ended up doing hardware anyways, as i don't really need the extra space, i just figured i would ask rather than let it go unused.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 33 queries.