GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 05:32:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto VGA Switcher  (Read 3108 times)

neostar63

• Senior Modder
Auto VGA Switcher
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »

So apparently the internets are better than I am today, and I cannot find what I am looking for. I am looking for a device that will allow me to plug in at least to VGA connectors and then auto select whichever one has a signal on it. If anyone knows of anything like that, that would be awesome.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Auto VGA Switcher
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »

How do you propose you will auto-select?  It will read your mind?  Do you mean you want to be able to control it remotely, switch it with a button on the device, switch it with keyboard presses, or switch it when one or the other actually has signal?
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »

I really don't think that a Auto VGA switch exists. One of my KVM switches will automatically switch to the first port that it detects a signal on upon power up, but it won't switch to another computer when I power it on though. I do have a S-Video switch that will automatically switch to the most recent port with a signal though, and then will switch to the port it was previously at when that "new" signal was lost. To be honest it annoys the hell out of me.

You would be better off picking up a cheap Zonet KVM switch mainly because a "Auto" one (assuming it exists) would be overly expensive anyhow.

If you explain a little better what you hope to accomplish we can point you in the right direction.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »

You'd have to go with a KVM switch; I, too, haven't heard of an Auto VGA switcher.

neostar63

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »

Where I work I am constantly switching between two systems. I have a dual monitor setup but have never seen a way to switch both monitors. I have another monitor that I can put into use and figured it would be a nice setup to have a monitor on the left and right that were the desktops of the two main boxes that I work on (sometimes i need info off of one box or another, and need to be able to read it). I would then place another monitor in between the two and use that as the scratch pad (extended desktop) for whatever system I was currently in control of. I already use a kvm to switch between the two boxes. I was hoping that I could find an auto switch that would allow the center monitor to change its input. That would allow me use the center monitor without having to change between the dvi port and the vga port manually on the front of the monitor. I don't expect the switch to read my mind. I know that there are other switches out there that sense signal and switch, but I just have never seen one for vga.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »

i can't remember the name of the software, but its out there somewhere, that lets you bridge the 2 computers monitors as if they were on 1 computer. (ie you mouse to the edge of one and it goes over to the other)

neostar63

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »

That would be synergy and that wouldn't accomplish what I am trying to do. Essentially I am trying to run dual monitors on two systems using three monitors.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

O.K. lemme make sure I got this straight. You would like to have 3 screens set up

#1= Computer A
#2= Computer A/B
#3= Computer B

and you would like the center screen to switch between what computer you are actively using right?

If that is the case, I would hook screens 1 & 3 (the main desktops) directly to those systems, and then hook the middle screen (the scratch pad) to the KVM switch along with the 2nd desktop outputs of the two systems. That way you will always have the two main desktops showing, and then the "scratchpad" screen would only change when you switch the KVM from one system to the other

neostar63

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »

you sir have got it right. I just needed someone outside of my head to say it. It makes sense now. That is nice that I don't need the switch. I think I will hook that up very shortly. Thank you very much.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »

Your welcome :D Sometimes you just over think the situation at hand and ignore the obvious. I am guilty of it far too often :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 34 queries.