GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 05:24:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ram = cheap  (Read 1738 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
ram = cheap
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

ddr2 ram is pretty much dirt cheap right now. i could get another 4 gigs (and yes my os can use it) for less than i paid for 2 gigs just under a year ago. i dont think i need it, but it couldnt hurt. i know CS will love the extra, but how about games? is there anything taking advantage of large amounts of memory yet?

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
Re: ram = cheap
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »

Well, you never can have too much RAM.  Although past 2GB, you see some diminishing returns.  It is worth noting that you can improve the speed of your RAM (especially latency) and get some pretty good improvemets in perfomance.  Going from CL5 to CL3 can make a rather noticeable change.  I personally think that hard drives are what is holding us back at the moment.  I/O speeds from fixed disks (particuarly with Vista, which likes to sit and hammer away at my HD for no apparent reason) are responsible for a lot of the lag you get when using your computer.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: ram = cheap
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »

I'm tempted too... for $75, I could upgrade (if the new memory plays well with the old) to 6Gb, of course forcing me to use 64-bit Vista and therefore dooming my scanner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.