GideonTech.com Forums

• August 18, 2022, 02:38:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting A Little Angry  (Read 15122 times)

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
Re: Getting A Little Angry
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

My understanding of the new Phenoms is they are a much faster FSB and you've bought the appropriate memory.  But I'm curious (again a long shot), what brand of memory did you buy?  I'd check to see if there are reported issues with your memory running severely underclocked like that.  It could be a bottleneck issue with the memory.  Technically there's nothing wrong as far as memtest would care.  But it could be some sort of stochastic thing killing your rig.  Just a thought.  Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »

Hmm... I will check into the underclocking of the ram issue...

Ram wise, I bought 2 sets of Kingston HyperX 2gb Dual Channel pc2-8500 ram (It was far cheaper to get 2 2gb sets than 1 4gb (4x1gb or 2x2gb) sets of ram)

I did 2 more tests on the system. The 2nd one failed again (Video playback issues) but the 3rd one passed (Video and audio playback were disabled though)

Logs:
http://www.maxamuscrasious.com/testlog2.txt
http://www.maxamuscrasious.com/testlog3.txt

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:59:18 PM »

Oh, random question while I am thinking about it... I have not used a ATI card for years (see: 16mb vram! WOW!) and I am a bit out of the loop with them. I currently have a 7600gtx (nice for when I got it...) and I am looking in dropping a new ATI card in. I want to do crossfire eventually (maybe even quad...) But I want the best performance ~$200 will buy. Im going to be playing Oblivion (well... my g/f will, I play morrowind) as well as Bioshock at least at 1280x720, but 1440x900 would be best (I am using a Samsung 19'' LCD tv as my screen, so technically they are both native rez)

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »

I would stay far away from ATI. I have a topic in the software section on it. They are back into the major driver issues like they had when the first Radeon's were released. Currently the issue is with LCD monitors using the DVI port. If you use an LCD monitor, I wouldn't consider them as an option. I know my TV out has never worked, it was supposed to be fixed with new drivers but it wasn't. I rarely use the TV out so it's not so much an issue as having the monitor go to standby after the BIOS screen.

I don't have much to add on your current problem. You could try bumping up the voltage on the memory and the chipset, if those are options, to see if its any more stable. Crashes like that are hard to narrow down as far as being hardware or software.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »

hmm.... I will try bumping the voltage a wee bit. I will check the specs of the parts a bit closer before though.

Oh, the LCD is hooked up via a vga to dvi adapter. Are the issues with using the dvi port directly, or does it happen with a VGA adapter too?

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 11:49:10 PM »

The problems are with the port itself, I use a DVI>VGA adapter and have the problem.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

I can't figure out how to get at the voltage adjustments, no matter what, they are locked

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

I can't seem to nail this crashing down. I booted the system Damn Small Linux, but there is not a damn tool in it to stress the machine nor would it work with either of my network cards (the pci one being a run of the mill realtek), so I was not able to make the system crash. I ripped the mobo out of the machine, and is currently supported by 3 empty packs of cigs (ruling out any case grounding issues) and I still have the crashes.

I have tested the ram in ever combo possible, and the random crashes still happened.

Does anyone know of a good boot disk (cd, dvd or USB thumb are all good) that I could stress test the machine with? I am attempting to tear the machine down to the fewest number of parts to boot.  I did just think of the most obvious thing though... Safe mode with networking... Lets see how it goes

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

I did just think of the most obvious thing though... Safe mode with networking... Lets see how it goes

Ha, its funny how the obvious things get overlooked. I haven't even thought about safe mode in years, but its definitely worth a shot.

For what its worth, I have had bad RAM before that memtest thought was fine.

This kind of hard to track down problem is why I always have old hardware lying around that I can plug in to test what is bad.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

Yeah, I am currently in safe mode, and SP2 downloaded fine, and 3dMark06 is currently downloading, no crashes or hiccups. I am only using one of the 2 sets of ram though, just as a test (and that I forgot to put the other 2 in, lol) But now when this download finishes without crashing, I will run the other 2 sticks, and then all 4, assuming there are no crashes.

I do generally try to have spare parts laying around, but over time those spare parts and machines were put together into computers for either my use or sale. Of course with the way parts change all the time now, and the fact that everyone I know has old computers, I have no access to spare DDR2 or a AM2 proc.

*EDIT*
After running in safe mode with the full 4gb of ram and no crashing, I have determined that the fail point is somewhere in the software. I did attempt to use Knoppix to test the system (which I downloaded in Safe Mode to also test for crashes) but was unable to get video. There were no X errors (which threw me off a bit, but that was not the first time I have had issues with video in Knoppix), but I was able to boot into text mode and run tests and large downloads via ftp without crashes.

I am going to go about some modding, put everything back into the case, and generate a automated install of Windows XP x64. I have a feeling that it is something to do with the nVidia drivers, so I am going to give the older version of the drivers a try, as well as the new Beta version.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:55:30 PM by MaxamusCrasious »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 34 queries.