GideonTech.com Forums

• August 18, 2022, 03:38:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting A Little Angry  (Read 15123 times)

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
Getting A Little Angry
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »

Sooo.... I FINALLY upgraded my main pc. Only took me almost 3 years to do it :lol:

I hopped on the egg, and picked up a MSI K9A2 Platinum mobo, Athlon 9500 Phenom proc and 4gb (4x 1gb) pc8500.

I am having issues with random (well... slightly random) lockups. It seems that whenever I do a large download my computer locks up completely. It happened while downloading a knoppix cd image, windows xp x64 sp2, installing .NET 3.0, and a few other misc things.

The only original parts that I moved over to this new machine are my 7600gtx, WD 120gb SATA hdd, Samsung DVD Burner and my floppy.

I am running the latest version of the bios 1.2 (waiting on 1.3 so my pc8500 will run at full speed and not 800mhz) and the latest stable version of all the drivers. I have also gone through and stressed the machine by running prime95 for 15 hours last night (worked fine) I also ran the memory through MemTest86 for 13 hours and everything came out fine. I then ran the WD extended drive scan and that came out clean, as well as all the benchmarks in Sandra 4x, with not a single crash. Of course the .NET crash came shortly after the Sandra Benchmarks.

Since the last crash (about 20min ago) I changed out the SATA cable, and have not experienced a crash yet, but it does not seem like a brand new SATA cable that came with the mobo would fail so soon, and not show any errors during the HDD test.

I have checked to make sure that the proc is not overheating, but it does not seem to get much hotter than 90F. I also have not attempted to overclock (many reasons, mainly I just dont need much more) the closest thing I tried was manually changing the FSB ratio to get the ram to run at full speed, but I did not even do that until after the 1st crash.

Any ideas anyone?

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
Re: Getting A Little Angry
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »

I would guess, and this is quite rare I'll admit, a short in the NIC?  Is the NIC onboard or are you using a PCI one?  Remotely possible, but worth a quick look I think.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

what programs are running when it happens? bad software can be just as evil as bad hardware. i never use itunes on the pc for that reason. the most recent version of quicktime was evil for me. are automatic updates turned on for everything, including windows? what about software like last.fm or java console? all of those seemingly harmless background programs have caused those kind of problems on my PCs before.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »

I am using the onboard nic, but I don't think that is an issue, because I just recently had a crash during the winamp install, when I left the computer for a bit. The only programs that were running at the time were AVG and my Logitech G15 software, but those were installed after the crashes began. During boot I am getting one error though:

"The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

After going through the registry, I find out that it is HWDeviceCustomProperties (App ID: {B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC} )

So I followed the steps Microsoft outlined to fix the issue, which did not work. This issue was present during my last install of XPx64 with this setup (I reinstalled to see if that would fix both the crashing and the DCOM error, which it did not) but this DCOM error did not exist when I had XPx64 installed with my old mobo.

I have read about the DCOM error on other forums, but with the other people, a reinstall fixed the DCOM error (did not work for me) and that DCOM error was not followed by random lockups.

I am going to try to see if disableing the onboard nic, but I really don't think that it is an issue, because it handled 6 medium sized downloads at once with me using 8 tabs at once.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Well... I have a feeling that the drivers that came with the mobo (along with the ones Windows Update found) may be at fault so I am going to download the latest ones from Realtek directly, and see if the system crashes when adding my music to winamp over the network again...

*EDIT*

So... the drivers installed, I rebooted and decided to try winamp again. This time is loaded my first music drive, and when I came back is was locked solid.... I rebooted, and as soon as the gui loaded it locked again... I also discovered that the only *spare* NIC I have is a old 10mb ISA one.... aargh

*EDIT pt2*

Found a NIC while typing the last edit, time to pop it in a test... More after the break

*EDIT pt3*

System crashed during shutdown prior to installing PCI NIC. Smoked a Newport to prevent me from punching comp in the CPU... Installed 2nd NIC and disabled onboard NIC. Began typing this post and adding files to winamp over the network. Crashed again. Rebooted and finished typing this post. I have a feeling that it *may* be an issue with the onboard Hi-Def audio. I have read people complaining that the current drivers (ie. the only ones) were causing issues so I am going to disable that and see what happens.

*EDIT pt4*

Turning off the onboard audio seems to have fixed the crashing, for now at least.... It allowed winamp to add the 2nd drive of music, but it leaves me with well... no audio :lol:
I have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 old pci sound card to throw in for now so I have some sound... Now to re-enable the onboard NIC (Was speedier than the PCI one mainly because it is on the PCI express bus)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:03:10 PM by MaxamusCrasious »

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »

Wow that sucks.  Guess you can safely eliminate the NIC.  Well that was a long-shot anyway.

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

Well... it is still crashing even after isolating the NIC and the sound card from the system. I went ahead and re-enabled the onboard components, and am searching for a solution. I am still checking out that DCOM error, and researching what other minor errors pop up in the event logs. The thing that sucks though is that the errors are not reflected in the logs at all

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

a little googling brought me to this link
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4126.html

maybe thats it?
there is some nforce thing (nvapp or ntune or something) that used to restart my computer when i would leave it on overnight, some of its network related software. ntune or something. i forget and cant seem to find any info on it again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:52:14 PM by urgannagru »

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

I'll give that a try, as well as seeing if there are new video card drivers. Its a good thing I read your post when I did, I was about to format and install vista (something I DON'T want to do, :lol: )

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »

Latest Update:

After suffering various crashes last night, I finally just shut the damn thing down.  This morning I checked my email, ect... with it and had no issues. I suffered my first crash installing Photoshop CS3. After rebooting and removing the partial install I decided to find a good burn-in program to run. I found PassMark BurnInTest (http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm) to be pretty good. Ironicly the system crashed 3 times attempting to download it :lol:

After looking around and seeing what the program can do, I embarked on a rather powerful test. It ran for about an hour before it failed... My system was dropping video samples...

Here is the test log. http://www.maxamuscrasious.com/testlog.txt

Seeing as the hard drive, ram, proc and video card survived at least 1 cycle (the hdd and ram cycles are VERY long) this seems to really only point to a software issue; unless someone can think of something else to try. I am going to run the test again, this time without sound testing, to see if the video issue crops up again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 34 queries.