GideonTech.com Forums

• October 04, 2022, 12:48:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video capture/conversion  (Read 1139 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Video capture/conversion
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:41:13 AM »

I'm looking to convert a few VHS tapes to digital format. What would be the easiest and most economical way to do this?

I've seen the external USB video convertors, how are the quality on those?

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Dewm_Solo

• Senior Modder
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:47:47 AM »

Usually they are not great....most of the time they do 640X480 at an average of 25 FPS....which is far from great

ADS Technologies has one of those made for the DVD Recording and if I'm not mistaken does take full 1024X768 at 30 FPS and it sells around 120$(CDN)...your best bet I believe.

schlzm

• Senior Modder
    • Schlzm's Iraq Page <ded>
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »

I believe both Sony and Phillips <possibly others?> have stereo component DVD burners available with built in VHS readers. This might not be a bad way to go. You could also use it to burn your saved Tivo shows.

Schlzm

goawaystalkers

• Elite Modder
  • Hello
    • J3hijinks
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 03:17:10 PM »

Usually they are not great....most of the time they do 640X480 at an average of 25 FPS....which is far from great

ADS Technologies has one of those made for the DVD Recording and if I'm not mistaken does take full 1024X768 at 30 FPS and it sells around 120$(CDN)...your best bet I believe.

Unless I'm mistaken there's no way that you could record VHS to DVD at 1024x768 considering that the resolution of mpeg-2 (dvd format) is 720x480 at 29.77 fps.

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »

i use my all-in-wonder to copy VHS over to DVD. the image is a little sharper using s-video but for most movies a composite input looks fine. just capture at a minimum of 6000kbps to keep the quality up. the ATI recording program has all sorts of different preset quality setting depending on what you're recording.

Dewm_Solo

• Senior Modder
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:41:31 PM »

Quote from: goawaystalkers
Unless I'm mistaken there's no way that you could record VHS to DVD at 1024x768 considering that the resolution of mpeg-2 (dvd format) is 720x480 at 29.77 fps.

The device can capture up to 1024X728 at 30 FPS.....of course you can't burn that directly to dvd....just need to modity to DVD format using Windows' Movie Maker

You ain't gonna find a way to do it in one step....my way does it in two steps....if it can't be done in one then 2 is pretty grood if you ask me  ;)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Video capture/conversion
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 03:43:34 PM »

Quote from: schlzm
I believe both Sony and Phillips <possibly others?> have stereo component DVD burners available with built in VHS readers. This might not be a bad way to go. You could also use it to burn your saved Tivo shows.

Schlzm

i would say this is the best quality, but costly

i would also say there are shops in any town which will convert vhs to almost any format for you at a low price

your cheapest bet is to hook up your vcr to your tv capture card, it works well enough. just go with a pci tv capture card, usb is not great for this function. also, you can do this using a dedicated computer (almost any old one 350+mhz will do) so you dont make your current comp useless while encoding
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 63 queries.