GideonTech.com Forums

• October 06, 2022, 05:55:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: overspinning a hard drive  (Read 3142 times)

64-bit-rules

• Senior Modder
overspinning a hard drive
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004, 06:09:32 PM »

thanks pinkpanther, ill look for that firmware

balefireX, im not going to use the hdd for anything, except making spin fast, so i dont care if it breaks

i heard people say that your hard drive can explode if you overspin it.
is this true? cause if it is, i have a new idea for a bomb.....

:P  :thumbsup:  :P

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004, 06:10:17 PM »

Oh well.  Nothing wrong smoking a little crack here and there ;)  

I think maybe then it might have been something to change the ATA speed.  I can't quite remember, but I remember something about making the hard drive read ungodly slow in an underclocking forum.  Anyway about the exploding part...
Yes it could in theory explode.  Somehow I can't imagine that the motor would actually produce the amound of power required to overcome all that air friction.  Worst case senario would probably be you seazing something in the motor.  But hey, you never know.  Be safe and blow something up for me.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 03:20:52 AM »

Yes, it could hypothetically explode, and be quite dangerous to you.  It wouldn't explode like a bomb, but consider this:

Older 3.5" Form Factor HDDs used 3.74 inch platters.  Since edge speed is expressed as
RPM * pi  * diameter / 60, at 7200 RPM, the edge of that drive is moving at 1410 inches per second, or just over 80 MPH.  The platters are very well balanced at the factory so that they can spin so fast and not start to wobble, as you can imagine that you don't want metal moving at 80mph to shatter.  Increase the RPMs to say, 10,000 and you're now at an edge speed of 111mph and risking unbalancing the drive.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 35 queries.