GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 11:30:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help building permanant lan server  (Read 1075 times)

kickyourfaceoff

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=johnnyfro
Need help building permanant lan server
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 04:47:48 PM »

Quote from: smokin_pc

athlon 1700+ ( i dont think they OC it)
     256mb Rambus pc800- <-- if u find that expensive, i guess 1 stick of 256pc2700 will do too

:wtf:

wasnt rambus only used on PIIIs?

smokin_pc

• Senior Modder
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 04:59:17 PM »

i donno, i check teh net bios, said it was AMD 1700+. here

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ & Intel P4 1.2 GHz
Motherboard: Asus A7v66
Memory: 256 MB RDRAM
Hard drive: Maxtor 20GB 7200 RPM
Video Card: V7700 GeForce 2 Ti 64MB DDR
Sound Card: SB Live (varies)
Monitor: 19" (varies)

Fump

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 05:21:30 PM »

P4 used rambus and we all know the horror story that turned out to be. I think the old 423 P4 ran only on rambus mobo's.

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 11:34:44 PM »

Some of the 423s used PC133.  My wife has an old Dell with a 1.5GHz Willamette and 512MB of PC133

They just keep dancing

Memfis

• Senior Modder
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 12:06:07 AM »

What is your price range?  What are the playing comps gonna be running.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2003, 01:00:18 AM »

The thing is that now we're talking about a business and every minute the machine is down, you potentially lose money.  So things like uptime and warranties are far more critical than it is for your CS gaming rig.  

Don't fool around with your livelihood- use SCSI drives.  They are designed to be in constant operation for their 10,000 hour MTBF.  IDE drives are not engineered with that kind of torture.  They may be fine, but generally the bearings, tolerances, etc of an enterprise class SCSI drive is far beyond even the nicest IDE drives.  Ever see IDE drives at 15,000 rpm running on Fluid Dynamic Bearings?  you aren't going to any time soon.  But nearly all SCSI drives are heading there now and lots of them are already out.

Don't go bleeding edge on anything- use as much tried and true gear as you can.  Don't go for that exotic motherboard because it has dual procs AND USB2.0 or FIrewire.  Use a boxed intel server class motherboard.  Because a few million admins have used it before you.

If dual procs don't help in a gaming server, still get a server class board and use a continuity card in the second proc slot.

Use registered RAM (well, if you use server class boards, you won't have a choice).  ECC.  less crashing.

Make sure it has adequate cooling.  I don't mean using Peltiers or Watercooling.  In fact, never use that in a server.  stock HSF.  Make sure the case has good airflow.

Overclocking?  Hell no.

The drive is the most critical part of the system now.  everything kinda revolves around it.  well that and power supply (get redundant if it's in your budget).  Better yet- get two servers and make them failover partners.  

What I'm getting at is when you move to business class machines, your mentality about stuff has to change.  Get the cool new motherboard?  hell no, let someone else test it out.  Great new proc?  so what- it hasn't undergone quality control yet.  New Software 1.0?  Uh, no thanks.  Let's wait for 2.0.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by going too cheap on the equipment that is the heart of your business.  I've seen it happen a few times when I was working for smaller companies.  Now that I've seen (lived through?) what it takes to run a BIG server farm, you'll see that what you want in your gaming rig and what you want in your server are pretty far apart cause time is money.  Where I'm working at now, it's worth about $600 per second.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2003, 01:11:23 AM »

Quote from: smokin_pc

for ur server heres what i suggest if u want a good stable server

Athlon 3000+
              asus a7n8x deluxe
              512x2 mb pc2700 ram
               mx400 64mb
               80gb seagate SATA HD 8mb x 2 = 160gb
               430+ watt PSU
               windows 2000 pro

One glaring probem with this spec- the desktop class motherboard.  For AMD, I believe TYAN makes good server class boards that use Athlon MPs.

MX400 video is overkill.  invest the money you save in a server class box that most likely has video onboard.  Otherwise, any 8MB video card that satisfies the AGP requirement should do.

Serial ATA, hmm, I would probably wait until I've heard more reports of it in production to see how it does.  Stick with tried and true- IDE parallel if you must, but I'd guess about 90% of true servers out there are using SCSI.

I'd invest in a redundant 300w power supply before dropping the cash for a quality 430w one.   On a no name 300w power supply from CompUSA, i've run a P4 2.8 with 4 SCSI drives.  no problems.  In fact I had a RAID server using dual Athlon MP1600+s and 16 drives running on a triple redundant 350w power supply.  and that was fine too.

Windows 2000 pro?  no, you really want to run server for what you're going to be using it for.  Pro is missing a lot of tools for diagnosing problems that are likely to come up when you're dealing with a LAN.

mozingod

• Elite Modder
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2003, 09:51:37 AM »

bliq: Since this would be an gaming place, I doubt the server would do much out of business hours, so I'm also guessing it won't need 24x7 up time.

Also, hosting a game server is very different from hosting a web/database server. Say their IDE drive or PSU dies in the middle of the day with people playing on it. So someone with a fast machine loads up a server and everyone joins that for a few rounds. Annoying, true, but it won't kill the business if they have to do this every once in a while (like, a few times a year tops).

Another thing thing Captain Amazing, you may want to consider having a lower speced machine as a stand by. When you get your main server setup just as you like it, use Drive Copy or Norton Ghost to mirror the hard drive to the slower server and leave it in the closet. If your main server goes out, just swap out the machines and troubleshoot the broke one, provinding only a few minutes of down time. Sure the temp one will be slower, but it is just that, a temp machine. Soon as you get the main one back up, swap them out again.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2003, 04:32:44 PM »

Quote from: mozingod
bliq: Since this would be an gaming place, I doubt the server would do much out of business hours, so I'm also guessing it won't need 24x7 up time.

Also, hosting a game server is very different from hosting a web/database server. Say their IDE drive or PSU dies in the middle of the day with people playing on it. So someone with a fast machine loads up a server and everyone joins that for a few rounds. Annoying, true, but it won't kill the business if they have to do this every once in a while (like, a few times a year tops).

Another thing thing Captain Amazing, you may want to consider having a lower speced machine as a stand by. When you get your main server setup just as you like it, use Drive Copy or Norton Ghost to mirror the hard drive to the slower server and leave it in the closet. If your main server goes out, just swap out the machines and troubleshoot the broke one, provinding only a few minutes of down time. Sure the temp one will be slower, but it is just that, a temp machine. Soon as you get the main one back up, swap them out again.

All good points moz.  Tis true, I don't have any experience running a game server.  But ask me about running webserver farms that get > 1 billion hits per year and I'll talk your ear off :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 76 queries.