GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 11:46:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IDE cables  (Read 499 times)

trevman

• Case Mod Weenie
IDE cables
« on: August 10, 2003, 08:24:26 AM »

hey k so i have two ide cables which are connected like so

primary - HD
secondry - CD, DVD

the prob is with the secondry one.... for some reason when my bios detects the CD and DVD it always puts the DVD as master and CD as slave is there anyway i can get it to see the CD as master and DVD as salve.

also coming off my DVD drive is IDE cable, power cable... then a small 4pin connection wire which connects to the motherboard, whats that for. thanks.

MaverikV

• Elite Modder
    • http://maverikv.gnomelan.com
IDE cables
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 08:34:06 AM »

The drive at the end of the cable is the master and the drive at the middle of the cable is the slave.  You have toi switch them.  When you switch them, make sure you adjust the jumpers accordingly.

The 4 pin connection wire is for your sound, so you must have sound built into the motherboard.  This is so you can play audio CD's from your drive.

haggertus

• Elite Modder
    • http://justin.thehaggertys.net
IDE cables
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 08:55:55 AM »

i don't know how much where the drive is located on the cable matters, unless you've got the drives set to cable select.

try switching the jumper settings on the cd to master and the dvd to slave.  some drives have the jumper configuration on a sticker on the drive.  others you need to look it up on the manufacturer's website.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION...

djpenguin

• Elite Modder
IDE cables
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 11:37:52 PM »

Cable position only matters if both devices are set to cable select.  You can just rearrange the jumpers to assign the devices as master and slave.

They just keep dancing
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 34 queries.