Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dilemna  (Read 494 times)

coolzero16

• Senior Modder
dilemna
« on: June 03, 2003, 10:39:16 PM »

ok. building a brief case pc. i have done all the work for mounting a motherboard, psu, and two 80mm fans. what i have left to mount is a cdrw and hard drive.

my question is which option would you guys choose to mount the cdrw

1: doing a stealth mod and taking part of the brief case cutting it out and then using the cut out part as the face plate so that i can access it from the outside.

PROS: outside access to cdrw
CONS: would require great precision to really make it look stealth. if it doesnt come out perfect it will look like crap.

2: mounting the cdrw on the top part of the briefcase DIRECTLY (like within one milimeter) of the psu.

PROS: plenty of room for the hard drive to go on the other side of the case.
CONS: over heating of having psu and cdrw so close....possibility of cd tray tapping into the heatsink mounted over the cpu.

3: mounting the cdrw over the motherboard.

PROS: plenty of room for ejection of cd tray. not over psu which will mean less possiblility of over heating.
CONS: over the pci slots which means after i drill holes. i will NEVER have the possiblity of putting in a pci card.

Also: I have an airflow question.  I have one 80mm fan cut out right over where the heatsink will be and one 80mm cut out where the hard drive will be. the hard drive will be faced upside down since heat is released from the bottom so it makes sense to me to have BOTH 80mm fans as exhaust. buuuut over on the left bottom corner of the case there is NO airflow what so ever...if there are no pci slots or graphic cards in the case do you think its worth putting in an extra fan? it will look dorky from the outside as it does not go witht he decor pattern so if its not necessary id rather leave it out

let me know what you guys would do thanks!

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
dilemna
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 10:41:33 PM »

i would go for option 1. if all it takes is precision, then practice on something similar to the briefcase until you get it right and then go for it...

Nismo

• Senior Modder
dilemna
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 10:45:30 PM »

go with 1 becuz the others doesn't seem to good of an option
just take your time with option one to make it all good

coolzero16

• Senior Modder
dilemna
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 10:45:51 PM »

i forgot a con for option one is i *might* not have enough room and if i do its only going to be able to be mounted from the FIRST two front screws. thats going to leave 6inches of space hanging int he back and if i move and jumble the case around a lot it just might not be enough support. the other two options would allow me to screw in all 4 cdrw holes?

also option one would not leave much space for me to put ide cables and pwr, reset switch and all that in without taking the cdrw out EVERY time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 33 queries.