GideonTech.com Forums

• August 08, 2022, 03:11:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Monitors...Worth it???  (Read 901 times)

j47e

• Case Mod Weenie
Dual Monitors...Worth it???
« on: May 14, 2003, 07:13:18 PM »

I am Currently using a samsung 171mp flatpanel multifunction monitor. I'm looking to do a little more :D . What I need to know is...Whats it like working with a dual monitor system? Sharing the same image with the obstruction of the frame in the middle. I am perticularily concerned about gaming circumstances, is it all good in the end? This will ultimatley be a substitution for getting a 24" (if i can afford it), although they are breathtaking...for the money? i donnnnnt kno. Help me out here. Thanx

Heres a picture of my current monitor, (thinking of getting the same...)

By getting to cases it would therefor result in a 34" unit. I have 30 Inches to work with. I would post the monitor on the walls having a couple inches of frame go behind the desk support peice. All viewing area would be obtainable.

jayjay1331

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 08:05:18 PM »

I have used dual monitors and would only recommend it if you have the space to have both right next to each other.  Also, make sure you turn the second monitor off in CTRL panel before running a game, as most times it had adverse effects on performance with me.  If ur getting a second, get another LCD.  I got an LCD and wouldn't use a CRT if anyone paid me.

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 08:28:18 PM »

Hmm... that monitor looks kind of expensive.  If you're concerned about the gap in the middle, there are numerous LCDs out there that have a very slim border around the edges.  Although those are a lil more expensive, I don't know if it's that much more than the LCD you have now.

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 12:13:41 AM »

Dual monitors has changed my computing experience.  Seeing as this experience was a 17" Gateway monitor with color problems and I went to a 19" ViewSonic and a 19" Dell, you can see the diff.  

In my opinion, if you have the option to go with dual monitors without it costing you to much, do it.  its worth it.  Even for just everyday crap like web surfing and chatting.

As for gaming, OpenGL doesn't seem to like dual monitors so I just hop into setting and disable the second monitor when I game.  Its not as annoying as it sounds.  Even still, I bet there is a way to create a shortcut or make a special keyboard command (like ctrl+m) to turn the second one on and off.
Nobody likes you. -Scott

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 03:09:50 AM »

I prefer one big monitor to two smaller ones.  It annoyed me to have things one one monitor and lose the mouse on the other one and I never really found a benefit (other than the increased visual space, which I now replicate with a 21" viewable @ 1600x1200)

SteveyG

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 10:43:01 AM »

Dual monitors is excellent. You don't need to worry about the gap in the middle, you can set the windows not to go between the two monitors so they are always in perfect view, so say if you have a window in one window, if you maximise it, it'll just fill that one screen leaving the other screen for something else. Of course you can disable this feature if you want a window spanned across both monitors.

Once you try two monitors you'll never want to go back! Believe me!

Some games support dual monitors, but usually, you'll just get the game in one screen and the other will go into standby. Mine does it automatically - I don't have to disable the other screen, it just turns off by itself and the game plays in the primary monitor.

There's overlay settings for watching films too, so that one screen will play the film full screen automatically with the other screen still on your desktop.

Its all very customisable, you can set everything up exactly how you want it.

j47e

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 11:10:43 AM »

Anyone Have any experience with playing Cs with a dual monitor system?

Closest things to me in Life
#1 Modifying
#2 CS*

mozingod

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 11:21:42 AM »

Depends what you want to do too. If you're just web surfing and playing games, dual monitors will not only be a waste of time, but eat up desk/wall space.

If you're into heavy development though, dual monitors are invaluable. Having the IDE on one screen, and the program/debuger on the other is soooo nice. If you're into graphics/video editing it's also extremely helpful.

deejayry

• Senior Modder
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/ryanparle
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 12:24:43 PM »

Dual monitors is good, since i have had a dual monitor set up i have been able to watch movies on one monitor, whilst using the toher one to get about my normal pc use, or always ahve my irc client sat on one monitor, and normal suff on the other.

For about 2 weeks i went with out dual monitors due to a change in graphics cards but found myself constantly looking at the second monitor. so i just chucked in an old video card so i could have dual monitors.

personlay i have not noticed any slowdown efects from using dual monitors

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 12:34:21 PM »

I tried CS on a dual monitor setup but it didn't work.  I've read that you can do dual monitors on Quake3, but i can't make it work.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.