GideonTech.com Forums

• August 16, 2022, 10:48:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Raid Plz  (Read 4231 times)

PIMPY_BOY_69

• Case Mod Weenie
Help With Raid Plz
« on: August 10, 2001, 02:02:00 AM »

ok people i need a little help with raid, what is it? how do i install it? how much? where can i get it? stuff like that, can someone plz help

Antacus

• Senior Modder
Help With Raid Plz
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »

Redundant Array of Independant Disks

(and no, I can not spell :) )

Basically RAID can be level 0-5, some books say 6, but when they say 6 the description sounds like 5. It can be anything from 2 40gb HDDs combined into 1 larger logical 80gb HDD, 2 40gb HDDs mirrored so when one dies you have a mirror image on the other drive. Or the big boy, RAID 5. There is a little more complicated but you have min 3 drives and a max of 32. The data is written across all the drives with a parity bit. If one HDD fails the hardware can caculate the missing data and the computer does not crash. Preformance goes way down, but you do not lose any data.

In a nutshell, you can get IDE RAIDs (0, 1, 0+1) but the good ones are hardware under SCSI. Costs a lot, runs hot, and is freakin SWEET.

WireX

• GT Fanatic
Help With Raid Plz
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »

I suggest reading the post Raid Info (is currently at the top).

also, their are more then 5 raid levels, their are split levels like 0+1 or 1+0 and 5+1 and tons of others.

I found a guide about this but lost it...

-WireX

Antacus

• Senior Modder
Help With Raid Plz
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »

Well, yeah if you count the hybreds then there can be more. But in basics there is  only 0-5, the rest exist but if you know those you know the 0+1 and so on.

Parez

• Senior Modder
Help With Raid Plz
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2001, 04:42:00 PM »

To do a raid conf you'll need either a mobo that supports raid or some sort of extension card [?], you'll also need AT LEAST 2 HDD's but 4 is recommended, 2 disks actuall space
and 2 disks backup. works whit only 2hhs also.. but thats if youre not worrying about your data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 33 queries.