GideonTech.com Forums

• October 01, 2020, 04:52:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling questions  (Read 724 times)

styx670

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://digtherig.tripod.com/home/
Cooling questions
« on: December 17, 2002, 01:52:55 PM »

I just finished upgrading my system, and did a major reduction in cable clutter and totally reworked my wiring. When I was done I couldn't help but be annoyed with the excessive fan noise and excessive wiring all my fans had created, so I decided to do a little expiramenting. Here is a shot http://digtherig.tripod.com/home/id3.html with the side off (all wiring is now virutally hidden, this shot is pre-upgrade) and the arrows show the flow of all 4 80mm fans, not including the new blowhole fan on the door. Just out of curiosity I disconnected the 2 front fans, and to my surprise my temps went down 2 degrees across the board, obviously had created a couple dead spots with all the intake fans. This yeilded a nice drop in noise. I then noticed that my  80mm rear exhaust below the power supply was blowing cool air, so I think it's not really helping all that much. I suspect it's due to the 92mm fan mounted on the bottom the PSU blowing straight down into the rear exhaust path and due to it's high CFM it's sucking that air straight out the back.

The current set up is one 80mm exhaust mounted on the back of the case, one 80mm intake mounted on a blowhole over the video card, and the Antec 430w True Power with an 80mm exhaust and 92mm intake blowing over the CPU zone. I am using the stock Intel cooler and stock cooler on my Radeon 9500 Pro (kicks much ass by the way, get one). My idle temps are 35-38c CPU and 32-37c case, load temps are 44c CPU and 39c Case. I don't overclock and the system is rock stable, enduring batch MP3 encoding, 3 hour sessions of UT2K3 and NWN on a regular basis, and assorted other task.

The PSU exhaust fan barely moves any air and is turning very slowly, and it is only slightly warm even while playing games, and the rear exhaust case is blowing cool to cold air all the time. So my thougts are to replace the 80mm Antec in the rear with something like a quiet Papst or PC Power and Cooling Silencer. My hopes are to drop noise  and hopefully better utilize the fans on the PSU, I suspect the rear exhaust is sucking out cooler air and leaving warm air circulating over the CPU. Iam hoping going to a lower CFM/RPM fan will allow the faster PSU fan to do it's job better while still move some hot air out and inducting some cooler air from the front vents. Any thoughts on this?

And what do you guys consider a safe temp for a 2.4B PIV? Any input is appreciated. [/img]

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Cooling questions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 02:01:50 PM »

Why is it that the second fan (over the CPU area) is blowing air downwards?  As far as I know, it should be blowing air into the PSU and out the other fan).  The PSU creates heat on its own and it's like your blowing hot air towards the CPU area.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

styx670

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://digtherig.tripod.com/home/
Cooling questions
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 02:10:37 PM »

Quote from: x24
Why is it that the second fan (over the CPU area) is blowing air downwards?  As far as I know, it should be blowing air into the PSU and out the other fan).  The PSU creates heat on its own and it's like your blowing hot air towards the CPU area.

certainly feels like it's blowing down to me, buy maybe I am catching the feeling of induction and it is blowing up. Still doesn't explain how so much cool air seems to be coming from the rear exhaust? Any ideas?

ATFNegotiator

• Senior Modder
  • Legend - God - Hero?
Cooling questions
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 04:15:28 PM »

seperate the HD's change the "blow hole" on the side to an Intake, the psu fan both are sucking out <Exhaust<Intake<Case not two exhausts, and pink split loom??... also try to hide everything/neaten all the looming so it's not visible, take the shortest ways to the psu/or go along the edge of the case. also nice mirror effect on the bottom, howd u manage that?

slayer5002

• Senior Modder
Cooling questions
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 04:23:39 PM »

Nice job cleaning up the wires.

Blooz1

• Elite Modder
Cooling questions
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 05:41:05 PM »

Styx, what is the model of your PS? I see an Antec label...it could be thermally controlled, in which case the PS fans will slow down as heat decreases....X is right, unless you've modded the PS, the bottom fan should be blowing air INTO the PS...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 48 queries.