GideonTech.com Forums

• July 05, 2020, 08:02:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: optical mouse modding question  (Read 3414 times)

ustink007

optical mouse modding question
« on: November 25, 2002, 09:50:21 PM »

ok, i found a flaw in my changing of LED, i'm such a dumb a**, ok, i have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, ya the one with the nice defect in it and i didn't bother to exchange it.  Well i was replacing the LED from Red to Blue, and then i realized, um.... there's a freaking red cover.  is there any ideas to get by that, like some how get rid of the red? no? ok, then a window in it? no? ok.... i'm so screwed...... oh the LED is like a 5mm 2600 mcd? should i go for a more intense one?

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 09:02:23 PM »

get 5000 MCD LED's. they should be bright enough to be blue through the red cover. and what defect are yout talking about? i have a microsoft optical intellimouse.

ustink007

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 05:22:46 AM »

um..... the one where the wire is cut off at the point where it exits the mouse, http://www.snark.com/~woody/2001/fixit/

i'm guessing its a defect because i found that article saying that it is.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 11:31:49 AM »

1st off you need a 5000MCD  LED (as stated already).  But since you already have a 2600 in there.. why not just add another one on top of it.

I have seen posting were ppl have gotten the "Bright LED from Radio shack" and it was not bright enough (that is because they are 2600's)  They then go and add a 2nd one on top of it and it works.

if you didnt notics that the plastic was red until after you changed the LED. then maybe more caffeen.  :)
Now live in the Twin cities.

snow veil

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 11:52:53 AM »

Quote from: Dave303
1st off you need a 5000CFM  LED (as stated already).  

!!!  :o wow I didn't know LEDs could push that much air.  Screw fans, I'm cooling my next case with LEDs.  :p

:D

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 12:00:28 PM »

Quote from: snow veil
Quote from: Dave303
1st off you need a 5000CFM  LED (as stated already).  

!!!  :o wow I didn't know LEDs could push that much air.  Screw fans, I'm cooling my next case with LEDs.  :p

:D

Doh!...
[BS mode on]
errmmm yeah they can ... why do you think they are poping up in just about every fan. Its not like we want Lights in our computers.
[BS mode off]
Now live in the Twin cities.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 12:02:37 PM »

Aw Snow, you're getting rusty :D

Anyway, I used radioshack blue LEDs on my optical mouse and it works fine.  It didn't matter that they weren't bright enough since I had two more LEDs in there plus the flickering LED to show how fast my auto-fire mouse is working.  And about the red plastic bottom, if you can find one with a clear bottom, which is hard to find in MS mice (Logitech mice with blue bottoms suck :D), then that's the way to go.  Before I did my mouse mod('/s), I had that in mind when I chose the mouse I'm gonna molest.  see here:

pwo sam shuga on meh!
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

basic

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 12:39:44 PM »

try making the red piece blue, you will need a really bright LED and it will look a bit purple, but it's better than bright purple (unless you  want that)

SteveyG

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 01:16:06 PM »

Quote from: x24
Aw Snow, you're getting rusty :D

Anyway, I used radioshack blue LEDs on my optical mouse and it works fine.  It didn't matter that they weren't bright enough since I had two more LEDs in there plus the flickering LED to show how fast my auto-fire mouse is working.  And about the red plastic bottom, if you can find one with a clear bottom, which is hard to find in MS mice (Logitech mice with blue bottoms suck :D), then that's the way to go.  Before I did my mouse mod('/s), I had that in mind when I chose the mouse I'm gonna molest.  see here:

pwo sam shuga on meh!

The LED used to provide light for the optical pickup is not constantly lit but pulsed so that constant light sources don't interfere with the detector, so another light source in the mouse isn't going to help unless its wired in parallel with the original one.

DJ Bowen

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 02:33:29 PM »

Quote from: ustink007
um..... the one where the wire is cut off at the point where it exits the mouse, http://www.snark.com/~woody/2001/fixit/

i'm guessing its a defect because i found that article saying that it is.

Actually I did see a mod where someone put a window on his mouse, added blue LEDs to it, sanded the edges of the plexi and put 1/2 (The top 1/2) of a lego figure in the mouse and the whole thing looked like a cryo chamber for legos. It was Mad Phat Diggity Yo!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 103 queries.