GideonTech.com Forums

• December 04, 2021, 05:40:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide: Vinyl Dye Tutorial and FAQ  (Read 110433 times)

sinned402

• Case Mod Weenie
Guide: Vinyl Dye Tutorial and FAQ
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2004, 06:46:55 PM »

On that picture of that red CD-ROM I was wondering what brand/color that is. It looks pretty much exactly what I'm after. Also if I'm Dying an orange piece of plastic black it won't come out some off black color will it? I mean should I dye it white then black?

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2004, 07:42:26 PM »

Thats Plasti-Kote, "Flame Red" vinyl color.  As for the orange, you should be able to go directly to black with no trouble.  It might take a few additional coats to match blue or even white plastic but black is a fairly easy color to dye.

GooN

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2004, 12:06:40 AM »

I have to say that this forum was a great help. About 6 months ago I purchased a Logitech MX 700 mouse and I really love it.

But the schmoes that put the finish on failed to clean the plastic before doing so and eventually I had a nice thumb print sized wear spot on the heel of my mouse as well as a side button. Being rather anal about things like this and having some time on my hands I disassembled the mouse and sanded off all the paint using 000 to 0000 steel wool.

So I hit the net after my numerous emails to logitech for advice on what paint to use where completely ignored. I knew no paint would hold up to the repeated contact and acids from fingers, at least no paint that wasn't 1/4" thick polyurethane. After finding this forum and having a lot of experience painting things I decided to give it a go. It took about 3 days start to finish. I purchased my dye at my local Red Rooster autoparts store. The toughest part was the hours of polishing out the embossed Logitech logo on the metal disc you can see in pic 2. This was tedious work with 0000 steel wool. I cut the Batman logo out of some black sign vinyl I had.  I am REALLY pleased with the finished product.

Thanks for all the help..... GooN....

e_z_street

• Case Mod Weenie
Vinyl Dye over plastic and bondo
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2004, 10:58:11 PM »

Hello all.

I read through this whole topic and this is my first time posting on this site.  This is a great forum.  Good to be here.  Anyway . . .

I removed a small nameplate from a plastic trim piece and filled it with bondo and sanded it down.  I want to use vinyl dye, but I don't know if the bondo area will match the rest of the piece.  Has anyone ever tried this?  If so, how did it turn out.  If this doesn't work with bondo, is there a different filler, like epoxy putty, that might work better?

Thanks

john_is_war

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.ohshazbot.com
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2004, 11:55:50 PM »

As long as you properly sand down the bondo and paint everything together as one (using hte appropriate steps for a nice finish) it should be fine.

NinjaFetus

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »

:D   Hey there everyone!  I've been reading the guides for a while and finally decided to paint my keyboard (getting a whole new system, might as well have some fun with it.)  The story is longer and more boring then that but I'll spare you the details.

So ANYWAY, painting the keyboard.  got the dye, same stuff, different brand name but it's working like a charm.  

base of the keyboard - blue
the keys - white  (instead of that off white-kinda grey beige that so many computer parts are made in  :P )
The Esc Key - Bright fire engine red, and I want to label it "Panic!"

Now...re labeling the keys because I've painted over all the letters.  I COULD do it by hand but I don't want it to look....childish and hand done you know?

Earlier in the thread some people mentioned transfer stickers.  Sounds like a plan except where should I look?  I plan on calling around to find them but should I be starting at hardware stores?  computer stores?  craft and hobby places?

It's turning out AWESOME thanks to the guide here and I shall post pics of the final product (maybe some progress shots too) after it's all done.

nOObee

• Elite Modder
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2004, 02:59:10 PM »

there is another recent thread on keyboard decals.  you may find it of interest.

NinjaFetus

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2004, 01:53:19 PM »

Quote from: nOObee
there is another recent thread on keyboard decals.  you may find it of interest.

:embr: ahh way to make me look like the noob I am  :idiot:  :)

thanks!  I found it
http://forums.gideontech.com/viewtopic.php?t=26232

and this link was very helpful
http://www.xtrememods.com/articles.php?id=7&page=2

though $23 US....eep.  more then I paid for the keyboard  :o  :embr:

hartigan

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Guide: Vinyl Dye Tutorial and FAQ
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »

Got a grey dye for mine, then added a bit of Rustoleum METALLIC Silver and gloosy stuff. WOW! the results were amazing. It is the exact color as mine Aluminum Thermaltake case. 8)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has been able to replicate this color (Thermaltake Armor Aluminum Case) with vinyl dye.

I'd definitely appreciate any help with this.

-hartigan

highbomber

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Guide: Vinyl Dye Tutorial and FAQ
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »

I have mistakenly put down primer when I should have decided to use Vinyl Dye instead of Spray Paint.

Now I have to get rid of the primer before I can try vinyl dye. Are there any tricks of the trade I can use to take off the primer. So far I have heard of break fluid will do the trick. Any others or helpful advice?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 47 queries.