GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 03:42:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: do i need a new psu?  (Read 837 times)

Hybrid

• Case Mod Weenie
do i need a new psu?
« on: October 29, 2002, 02:57:00 AM »

i currently have a enermax 300W and i think i should upgrade it to a 400W cuz the computer is restarting by itself when i play games.  You think its because of the PSU? i have like 8 fans in my comp.  

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hyjacked.homelinux.com
do i need a new psu?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 08:44:00 AM »

On 2002-10-29 02:57, Hybrid wrote:
i currently have a enermax 300W and i think i should upgrade it to a 400W cuz the computer is restarting by itself when i play games.  You think its because of the PSU? i have like 8 fans in my comp.  

I would say it would more than likely fix the problem. 300 is a little low for that(I think). Worse case it doesn't fix the problem but you have more headroom for upgrades in the future.

korndog

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.xtremgaming.com
do i need a new psu?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 03:18:00 PM »

um.. probably not the problem..
my old P4 used to do that A LOT, after i changed the motherboard, it because very stable.  I would borrow a 400w psu from a friend and try it out first.  Or you could go to **** and order a cheapo 10-20 psu instead of wasting your money on a $100 enermax psu...  Wait.. 8 fans eh?... try disconnecting all of them except for cpu/mobo/psu and just drag a big fat desk fan to cool it temp.  If it stops rebooting then thats when you need to get a new PSU.
Also try clocking your cpu back to defalts and see if anything changes.  

Hybrid

• Case Mod Weenie
do i need a new psu?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 03:42:00 PM »

when i put it back to the default settings on my cpu which is 1.47 it functions normally.  when i oc it to a 1.6 and turn off 6 out of my 8 fans it runs stable but when plug in all of my fans it just restarts for no reason during full load.  well i might as well just get a 400W ne ways.  been thinking about it for a long time.  thanks for the advice.

Geet Lord

• Senior Modder
do i need a new psu?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 04:23:00 PM »

That sounds like it should help especialy if it works when some of the fans are turned off.

korndog

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.xtremgaming.com
do i need a new psu?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 02:20:00 AM »

hem...
well, wanna hear another idea?  I did this last year when i was running a peltier.
Get a second PSU and put your fans on one psu and all ur componants on the other.
all u need is room in ur case, 2nd psu, something to cut/strip wires, and some black tape.  I used a 250watt/250watt psus and it worked great.  If you want more details on how to do it, just ask, and i'll post'em up
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.