GideonTech.com Forums

• November 22, 2019, 10:32:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: screwups with unlocking kit...  (Read 1323 times)

PokPok

• Senior Modder
screwups with unlocking kit...
« on: October 22, 2002, 08:53:00 AM »

anyone here use the unlocking kit from highspeedpc?  ive read from reviews that if u mess up its removable.

if i was trying to close the L1 bridges and some of the conductive material goes onto the L3 bridges...what would happen?  would it not boot up? or would something short?
if it wouldnt boot up, could i just wipe the conductive material on the L3 bridges, and expect a perfect boot up?

EDIT:  im takling about an XP Processor,  thanks for reminding me about that hjacked

hyjacked

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.hyjacked.homelinux.com
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 09:55:00 AM »

if i was trying to close the L1 bridges and some of the conductive material goes onto the L3 bridges...what would happen?  would it not boot up? or would something short?
if it wouldnt boot up, could i just wipe the conductive material on the L3 bridges, and expect a perfect boot up?

depending on what you are trying to unlock, an xp vs a straight athlon, you might have to fill in the bridges with something non conductive before you can close the bridges. also if you get some conductive material on some of the the other bridges, it will probably short out.

this comes from reading stores of others trying to unlock their cpu, I've don't have hands on experience with it...

PokPok

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 02:43:00 PM »

if it shorts out...will i see smoke?

saint-oni

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 02:50:00 PM »

no, you wont see smoke, but you wont see anything on your screen either. youll hear a really high pitched whine, then a small pop. that means your computer is a high-tech doorstop. if you screwed up the overclock, then bite the bullet and get a new processor rather than blow up your cpu, your mobo and possibly the ram. if you got that conductive stuff on the wrong contacts then pitch it before its too late... or sell it on **** "as is". some idiot will buy it, they always do...

that better bob?

bob_dole_nz

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.ffiends.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 06:30:00 PM »

get a new processor rather than blow up your cpu AND your processor

saint-oni

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 07:10:00 PM »

i was in the process of helping some random idiot fix their computer when i typed that. expect a few typos. i even went back and fixed a couple of them.

PokPok

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 07:06:00 AM »

could i use arctic silver 3 as my conductive material...

Fu3lman

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.gideontech.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2002, 05:38:00 PM »

this reminds me of the time i got my brand spankin' new 486DX4-100 chip, only to toast it (sparks and whining noise...and even a little smoke) after forgetting to set my voltage to 3.3.....D'OH!!!

the nice man at the computer store was even nice enough to take it back and give me a DX2-66 for sympathy.

korndog

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.xtremgaming.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 02:14:00 AM »

pokpok, the conductivity of artic silver is pretty low, they say that on there website that they tried to take out most of it in this AS3.  also keep in mind that that it might wipe off and spread to other things..
I would get some kind of conductive epoxy that would harden after a while.

MaverikV

• Elite Modder
    • http://maverikv.gnomelan.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 06:52:00 AM »

Dude don't worry if you mess up with the conductivity grease just wipe it and start over . . . I don't know what happened to these people, but they screwed it up morethan that.  Worst case scenario it won't boot up, but most likely you won' be able to change the multiplier (you screwed up and unlocked it wrong) or you can only chane it to certain values (you screwed up and unlocked it wrong).   I had to do it 10 times the first time I unlocked an XP.  If you have a TBredB now, its even easier.  Just bridge the last L3.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.