GideonTech.com Forums

• November 13, 2019, 12:29:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RAM sinks...are they worth it?  (Read 2036 times)

Keck

• Senior Modder
RAM sinks...are they worth it?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2002, 05:31:00 PM »

On 2002-10-10 18:09, outther wrote:
Spend that money on your next date! 8)

Date?  You mean with something other than my computer?

outther

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2002, 06:42:00 PM »

Date?  You mean with something other than my computer?

Same Sex, Oposite sex,Necrofelia, Beastialiaty,what ever you are into!
Yeah save the money and show the date, corpse, or animal a good time! :rotflmao:
Just kidding! Enjoy!
What would a Comp Date Be Digitalia or Digifelia? :lol:

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2002, 06:52:00 PM »

I wouldn't see a point in getten them 'cept for the fact that they look quite spiffy.  I also learned that they look really amazing and professional to ppl that don't know anything about them. I know when I first saw them, I was amazed.  

Nobody likes you. -Scott

modnut

• Elite Modder
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2002, 05:24:00 PM »

I think they are a complete waste of money myself. I would much rather spend my money on something else.  Those little things are just for show.  A few of my friend have them and they regret the day they bought them.

Fu3lman

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.gideontech.com
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »

i have the ram on my GeForce overclocked and had a problem with quake 3 freezing up (but unreal tournament did not, so i did a little research and discovered that UT is more of a system CPU and memory hog than quake 3...which uses every ounce of your video cards resources...so the problem was evidently the video card and some heating issue.

i placed 6 (i think) small radio shack heat sinks (about $1 each and an absolute perfect fit) directly to the VRAM and the problem immediately went away...so im just gonna call it like i see it here and say that if anything, put some passive cooling on your video cards ram...it helped my freeze up problem and made the video card look pretty cool.

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2002, 11:18:00 PM »

i have gf2, and i wanted to change the chip h/s, but the copmoud holding it on is really really hard, i dont wanna crack anything so is there any other way to take off that compound? also, where can i get it, or something like it, a thermal adhesive i guess its called

Fu3lman

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.gideontech.com
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »

FIRST...run quake 3 or something like that (NOT unreal tournament) for about 30 minutes with all the effects turned WAYYYY up...THEN use a hairdryer to keep it heated up.

What this does is make the compound used to "soften" a bit, and makes the removal of the sinks a bit more tolerable and ALOT safer to the video card, DO NOT use excessive force obviously and if the card isnt almost unbearably hot to the touch when you try to take the sinks of, then heat it up some more with the hairdryer and GENTLY work the sink in a twisting motion until the compound gives in.

had to do this to my old voodoo3-3500 tv-agp after i oc'd it, tried it cold, no give whatsoever, tried it hot...and i do mean hot, not warm, HOT, and it was ALOT easier to deal with...

and about thermal paste...radio shack, its about $2 and comes in an easy to use tube...remember something tho, do not go overboard with it, using too much can be detrimental by creating too much of a gap between the cpu and the sink...for video card GPU's, i reccomend a pea size drop of compound...another think, this stuff will NOT glue the sink to the GPU, its thermal compound, you will need to devise some other way to mount it on there or get the thermal glue (which i dont trust TOO much)...

AOpen AX6BC
PII-400@496Mhz
256MB pc133
Geforce2-MX 400 64MB-128BitSDR
Live 5.1
3x10-100 NIC's
DVD, 24xRW, 13GB-400MB
...shut up...

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2002, 12:03:00 AM »

thanks Fu3lman, i appreciate it. what i wanted to do is add an old pentium hs with a fan i bolted on top of to make me less afraid when i overclock it, since i bought the gf3 i gave up tho. i was at a lan, and this guy had the same card as me, but waaay overclocked, i dont remember the values, but he didnt have any extra cooling on there at all, i guess the stock passive ramsinks and gpu hsf work very well.

saint-oni

• Elite Modder
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2002, 02:42:00 AM »

On 2002-10-13 19:42, outther wrote:
What would a Comp Date Be Digitalia or Digifelia? :lol:

actually, thats technophillia. and the only good use for ram sinks ive seen so far is for video cards that are overclocked.

Liquidnumb

• Senior Modder
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2002, 02:50:00 AM »

Right. Ramsinks for videocards, not for system memory. In any case, just make your own. Thats what I did, works great. Cut up an old HS with a dremel, smooth em out, and put em on with some thermal adhesive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 19 queries.