GideonTech.com Forums

• July 17, 2019, 07:25:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'risque' cooling properties of aluminum cases  (Read 5028 times)

Theoretical Hero

• GT Fanatic
    • http://mods-r-us.cjb.net
'risque' cooling properties of aluminum cases
« on: September 11, 2002, 01:59:00 AM »

i just want to say what i think about this and why because it makes sense.

i believe that aluminum cases have better cooling properties than steel and these are the reasons for my position on this:
first of all, let's make an imaginary case, this case moves 350CFM but is made of styrofoam. this case may move quite a bit of air but it only does it through the exhaust port. now let's take the same case and make it from aluminum. now we not only have good airflow and heat dissipation through the exhaust but throughout the case and here is why...
while most people will say 'wull if yer components are hot enough to heat yer case yer screwed anyhow' but this has nothing to do with aluminum cases. yes they will cool the components but they do this inversely. rather than making contact with the object, they cool something else that is touching the object i.e. air! most people forget about air as a heat conductor. so by cooling the air within the case, you are cooling the components themselves.
now let's take a quick look at a CPU and it's heatsink/fan. the heatsink cools the CPU in the same manner as the case cools the components. the heat goes through thermal paste or a shim and then is pulled away by the heatsink. but the fan is the key in both cases (pun not intended)
on a CPU the fan is used to circulate 'new' cool air over the HS to help further the cooling process. sure, the HS can pull alot of heat out but then the HS it's self would get warm and not nearly be as efficient. the same goes for the case. in order to take advantage of the cooling properties of the case, sufficient air circulation is needed.
just my $.02

Cheers,
T.H.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark outside and we're wearing sunglasses."

Fenix_Fiur

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 03:11:00 AM »

yeah, that all sounds about right...but one thing i'd like to add...

the superior cooling properties of an aluminum case VS. a steel case are negligable(sp?)

the difference is too slight to make an aluminum case worth getting because of cooling properties.

the leading brand in aluminum cases is Lian-Li...now that isnt because an aluminum case is cooler (as in temperature) than a steel case...it's because a Lian Li's look great, and they have some features that most steel cases dont...

just my .02
suck it trebek.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 09:11:00 AM »

Well, aside from your post being increadably difficult to read for some reason, several tests have shown that there isnt a measurable difference between the two.  For two reasons, one heat never gets radiated through your case, it gets moved out by air flow.  Two, steel is a pretty damn good conductor of heat as well, not much different from aluminum.  So for the last time, the fact that your case is made of aluminum does not make it run cooler.

D.O.A

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 04:32:00 PM »

yea but steel is alittle heavier to carry to a lan party

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 06:25:00 PM »

I agree, and nothing looks nicer than brushed aluminum.  Thats not what he is saying.  I love aluminum cases, but it doesnt do anything for you cooling wise, other than the fan placement might be better on a high end cases.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 06:45:00 PM »

You don't take into account the fact that air has a very low specific heat.  Only so much heat can be lost through the case because the air has a finite and low capacity.  Air is also an insulator (Aluminum is 2.165 W/cmK, air is 0.0003W/cmK).  The heatsink analogy doesn't work because the 'sink is in direct contact with the core.  The thermal paste is only to help fill in microscopic spaces.  My theory is thus: the case does not come into direct contact with any heat producing components, so the only way it can be heated is through air, which is an effective insulator.  Increasing airflow will make your heatsinks more efficient because a greater thermal gradient is set up, but it will also remove heated air faster, thus keeping the case itself cool.  
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

FPSFREAK

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://hometown.aol.com/esutek27/Machine.html
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 02:52:00 PM »

I don't know if this helps but I noticed Nada, zip, zero, zilch difference between my antec steel case and my new Lian Li....Notso much as a single degree, exact same set up...But dam it does look sweet....

chr`

• GT Fanatic
    • Http://www.pixelwhores.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »

Why is this still a big deal? I like aluminum cases case frankly... They look so f*cking sexy. Theres my 2 cents lol

Stryfe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »

i have an lian li and some silly steel case and i cant tell the difference between the two, but i can tell that they lian li looks about 20 times better then the steel case.  Besides, if it looks cooler, it must run cooler right!  ;)

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 07:54:00 AM »

you guys are funny and finally on point.  Cases arent sealed nor are they pressurized or at high temp and therefore aluminum vs steel is moot.  It is 100% weight or sex appeal, just like a plexi case, or someday a titanium case or even better a tantalum case.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.