GideonTech.com Forums

• December 09, 2019, 10:21:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 220vac runs cooler than 110vac?  (Read 1105 times)

snow veil

• Elite Modder
220vac runs cooler than 110vac?
« on: August 24, 2002, 04:19:00 PM »

Maybe some foreigners can help me see if this is correct or not.  Every other weekend I go to my Dad's house.  Being the geek that I am, I lug my computer along with me :D.  For some reason when I'm here my temperatures average 2-3 degrees celsius cooler than when I'm at my Mom's house.  The weird part is, it is usually colder at my Mom's house than here.  I mentioned this to my Dad and he told me that it could quite possibly be that more voltage is coming out of the wall because where I am plugging my computer into has its very own circuit.  He told me that this means that less current is required to make my computer run, so in turn it will mean less work and less heat production.  

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their computer from a 110vac environment to a 220vac environment and have noticed a change in heat...or if 220vac regular users in general have lower temperatures than those of us using 110vac.

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 08:56:00 PM »

the power might be cleaner because of the only device on the loop.   Its possible at the other the voltage / amp is out of spec and the voltage regs are putting out a lot of heat.

next time you go between the two take an accurate temp reading of the psu and that may be causing it.  the power is regulated on the output side of the psu so nothing in the case should see the same.

RentonLovesJunks

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 09:11:00 PM »

could be the location too. if your computer is getting cleaner air and more of it this may also help. if its under a desk at mom's and out in the open at your dad's. just a thought

EPoX EP-4BDA MoBo
16X DVD
16x cdrw
Aopen Geforce3 Ti200 128Mb (big mistake)

outther

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 09:21:00 PM »

OK well then

If you took a $2.00 extention cord 10G to 15G and plugged in a microwave or saw to it on 110V the cord will get hot to the touch.

However using the same cord, cut of the end and apply the proper adapter to suit your area of the world for 220V and run the same microwave or saw and it will be cold to the touch.

Reason: 110V Microvave will use 15A, 220V Micorwave will use 7.5A

Volts don't kill you AMPS DO. Grab a 220V 400Ma wire and it would be like stiking your tongue to 9 volt battery.Likewise at 110V. Grab the same above at 30A and you will definaty need medical attention.

Your PSU will run cooler on 220V but once the power leaves your PSU it is regulated to 12V-5V-3V so there sould be no difference.
I can't explain you temp difference. I hope this clears up the volt question though.

RentonLovesJunks

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 09:27:00 PM »

yea hes right. i just couldnt have explained it like that. im tired.

outther

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »

Oh let me add this, you never speified if it was a lap top or full sized PC. I assumed it was full size by your verbage. If you were running a Laptop with an internal inverter ( I don't think any do but you never know) it would run coller on 220V. The heat from the inverter would be inside the cramped case. The same would be true for an exteral inverter but would not effect you internal temps. Maby the Difference of your PSU running cooler at 220V is effecting you temps.
Again I hope this helps, If not Sorry

snow veil

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 11:44:00 PM »

I'm using a full tower case actually..pretty much the same set up as at my mom's house.  Monitor on the right, case on the left, with a wall to the back and open space for the side intakes.  brutal I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the cleaner power part :).  I don't have any temp probes, (other than mobo built-in), so I'm just reliant on ambient and cpu temp.  

Outther...you know your stuff :).  Thanks for helping to clear it up, and give me a better understanding.  

PapaSmurf

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 11:57:00 PM »

naw unless your powersupply is kinda wierd I think it is some other variable rather than your power source
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.