GideonTech.com Forums

• December 07, 2019, 08:26:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How about an AIR CONDITIONED COMPUTER...............  (Read 9212 times)

Antacus

• Senior Modder
How about an AIR CONDITIONED COMPUTER...............
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »

But if you put it on the front wouldent the condensation just drip out the front of the case?

I am prolly talkin out my butt here since I know *nothing* about peltiers cept what I read on the net.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »

well you would build an "air chiller", yo uhave a heatsink on the cold side, and you have a good heatsink on the hot side.  and it acts as a mini ac unit...

drip out the front of the case?  ERm to get any effect you need the cold side to be in the case...

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »

Yeah, I thought about that when at lunch. Just use rubber feet in the back of the case that are larger then the front ones. Any buildup would run out the front then.

But... the real question is would this air chiller, as you call it, really help much? Just how much chillin would a peltier in this setup do?

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »

yes, it would help, and hte reason why its called an air chiller is that s what who ever made it first called it...

I think they guy got like 15-20c case temps...

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »

Ahh, good ideas go fast. A bud and I were talking 3-4 days ago. I mentioned peltiers and expressed my concern about the condensation. He said just slap it on the front intake fan. The hs and fan came later in our talks :)

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »

A front side air chiller would work, but a pelt does get super hot, so a good heatsink is necessary.  A pretty decent HSF would help distribute the "cool" air from the pelt, and a HSF would be needed to blow the hot air outta there, maybe through ductwork.
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2001, 05:58:00 PM »

Did not think about 2 fans. Would both blow out/away from the pelt I guess?

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »

I'm not an expert at building air chillers, but I would think that you'd need to blow into the HS on the hot side, and blow out from the cold side.  

Like I said, I'm not an expert, just guessing.  Guess I could IM or email my cooling crazy friend, and ask him how he made his.  He used a 300-350W pelt, hooked to 2nd PSU, and that damn thing gets HOT!  He has it rigged somewhere on the side, with the hot side sticking out the case.  Don't ask why, cause I didn't.
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2001, 04:07:00 AM »

erm you sure its a 300-350 watt tec?

cause the 158 watt tec takes like 14 amps @ 12v to run, so your talking about 28 amps @ 12 volts....  thats like the max wattage an enremax 550 watt psu puts outs :/

And for that price you can go water cooling and live the good life.

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »

It was a HUGE 300w pelt.  The PSU he has was one that he "made" from parts from Jameco.  He took two different transformers and steppers from PSUs and put them in series to create an ungodly looking PSU.  He was actually thinking about wiring the pelt to run off 120AC through some type of inverter.  I'll drop him an email to find out exactly what size pelt he is using.  I do know that he is running a variable PSU to run the damn thing.

BTW - it isn't a normal computer PSU, but a tabletop PS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.