GideonTech.com Forums

• July 04, 2020, 01:30:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Destroying my 1st Mobo I'm ready for a rerun.......  (Read 4345 times)

Kuchuk

• Case Mod Weenie
After Destroying my 1st Mobo I'm ready for a rerun.......
« on: August 04, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »

Just recently i killed my A7v mobo when i was installing a cpu fan and the screw driver slipped and total screwd the mobo  wiering..:x

I never got to really install a cooling setup on my old pc so i wanna do it now..

I got:
a Fic Mobo..
950 Amd Athlon
384 166Ram
30 Gig7200 Wd HDD
Sb Live
cd, cdrw
modem, ethernet

Cooling Gear:

Side intake fan( right across from the cpu)
slot fan(exaust)
Orb 3 cpu fan
1 more 120mm with no clue to where to stick it.
a fresh hd cooler, (2 fans in my 5. bay slot)

Suggestions........ :-?

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »

I just finished building a new system for a friend and took cooling a little bit far, he says. Full tower with 10 case fans (not counting a few minor internal fans):

2x 80mm lower front intakes
1x 40mm DD5 fan (I don't even count this for total cfm)
2x 92mm lower left side door intakes
2x 80mm middle rear exaust
2x 20mm top right door exaust
1x 120mm center top exaust
* Delta 60mm 38cfm hs fan

I had to cut 5 new holes, and enlarge 2 existing holes. Finished product is a case with ~176cfm in and ~212cfm out, causing a little bit of a neg air pressure inside the case.

In a computer room under full load I get a stable 49.2C max, ~42.3C surfing the www. Looks like he needs more fans!!!

IWill KK266 w/ 1.4ghz AMD
1gb 133 RAM @ 7.5ns
ELSA Geforce 2
IBM 60gb UDMA100
50x CDROM

NMDante

• Elite Modder
  • Aaargh!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »

What would negative air pressure do anyway???

If it is a HUGE full tower, you might try what my friend did with his PC70 Lian Li full tower.  

He took a few pieces of lexan that were collecting dust (too small for a window).  He cut a piece to seperate the upper from the lower part, but made cutouts for wiring and cables.  He used some rubber material to "guide" the wiring and cable from upper to bottom.  

His results were:  Lower part (cpu, h/d, MB, etc) were running a full load at ~38, while the upper part (PSU, CD-ROMs) were running about 21 degrees.

He has 4 intake, 3 out in the bottom, and 2 intake (one is a wierd bay cooler he made, looks funny as hell) and 2 outs.  He even used my adding a larger fan in the PSU idea.  We took the 80mm fans outta our PSUs, and jammed a 90mm high 38cfm fan in there.  It rocks.

P3 733 (not O/Ced) on an Asus M/B, 512MB PC133 RAM, Slot load DVD, CDRW, 60G & 30G (7200/ATA100) H/Ds, Hollywood + Decoder, SB Live!, and weakass 56k modem all jammed into a modded Lian Li PC60 case....modding continues
Main system: 840EE on ABIT AW8-MAX, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7600GT, SB X-Fi Platinum, 3x200GB SATA HDs, 2x DVD+/-R/RWs all in Antec P160, and modified H2O cooling system.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »

In a computer room under full load I get a stable 49.2C max, ~42.3C surfing the www. Looks like he needs more fans!!!

no what he needs is a better heatsink.

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »

Yeah, I am trying to get him to pony up for a better hs but I had a hard nuff time getting him to buy the PC, let alone all the cooling I have done so far. He has a 24cfm orb style hs atm. It works but I want him to get either the GlobalWin FOP38 or the Swiftech MC462.

As for the neg air flow I read that it is always better to pull the air across the board then push it. Since he has a little more pull then push the case should remain a little cooler, imho.

TitoJackson

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »

I wouldn't go with the swiftech, for that much, you could get a sk-6, a fan adapter, and an 80 mm delta which would work just as good if not better.  I wouldn't go with a fop either, for a few extra bucks you could get a WBK38 or for a few more a CAK38

Justin Sampson

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.sampsonwebdesign.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »

On 2001-08-05 17:59, NMDante wrote:
What would negative air pressure do anyway???

Negative air pressure helps prevent dust buildup, since more air is going out then in.

basic

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »

ok, i've read alot about this and normally it is better to have an edge in INTAKE rather then exhust. this is because NO case is prefectly airtight, and there is little to no air pressure difference, so it would be better to blow dust out of the system with an edge in intake then to suck dust out by having the egde in exhust. And the more cool air you force in, the better.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2001, 04:37:00 PM »

This just my opinion, but I think it doesn't really matter.  As long as when you put your hand where your exhaust is coming from and it is cool, then it doesn't really matter.  You can have posative air pressure, negative air pressure, thats all fine and dandy but if your box is exhausting cold air then its doing its job.

Antacus

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2001, 08:54:00 PM »

lol. I like that response winter :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 33 queries.