GideonTech.com Forums

• July 07, 2020, 12:07:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: planning my p4  (Read 629 times)

NovaBiele

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://greek.villanova.edu/betathetapi
planning my p4
« on: July 17, 2002, 02:14:00 PM »

I'm new to the overclocking scene and would like everyone's advice to help me plan my new system.

I plan on building a P4 system. I have a soundblaster live and 3com NIC that I want to keep so i dont really need all the onboard stuff.  I do need onboard RAID however.  I've been looking at asus boards because they are all i've had in the past and I'm happy with them, but open to other manufacturers.

My goal is to hit somewhere around 2.5-2.6 ghz.  Can I hit these speeds with a 1.6a?  or should I get a 1.8 or 2.0, or even the 2.26?  I'm willing to spend some money on cooling, but i'm not gunna get any kind of watercooling or anything like that.

Also...when it comes to memory I understand it is very important to have good stuff when overclocking.  What kind of speeds should I be looking at for DDR?  266, 333, or 400? CL2 or CL2.5?  and what do the timings mean...I've heard alot about it, but dont know what they mean... like the 2-2-3 stuff?

When this baby is finished will the PCI and AGP bus run at normal speeds, or will they be overclocked too?  I've heard alot about NICs becoming unstable at higher speeds.

I guess that pretty much covers all of my questions.  I'm open to suggestions and/or constructive critism so dont hesitate to give me your opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.