GideonTech.com Forums

• October 25, 2020, 10:52:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: slowing down  (Read 603 times)

coolzero16

• Senior Modder
slowing down
« on: July 02, 2002, 01:36:00 AM »

Hallo, I've been having a few issues with my pc lately.

1.  Takes a few minutes to start up, used to take bout 15 seconds.
2.WONT shutdown, says it is now shutting down, but it like freezes on that last screen.
3.  Everything is slower that includes games especially.

It kind of feels like the processor's speed has cut in half.  Is this a common problem with computers over time and does it have a solution?

I have all the latest anti virus software from nortan so I don't think it's a virus.  Also I'm running Windwos XP Professional.

PC Specs: AMD Xp 1800+, 7200RPM 80GB HD, A7N266-E Nfroce mobo, GF2MX

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
slowing down
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 01:50:00 AM »

ive experienced that with large fragmented hard drives when you have opened a lot of apps and games, etc... cause windows wants to save all the temp files and whatnot.  I would think if you cleaned up the the temp files and defrag'd your drive it should help.

as far as not shutting down, and im not sure this is true for xp, there are issues with fast shutdown with earlier versions of Windows like 2k and 98

Peppe316

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.CodeHeadz.net
slowing down
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 02:01:00 AM »

Try error checking and defragging....I had the same prob with win2k and it helped me out
I kill threads

Ottoman

• Senior Modder
slowing down
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 08:38:00 AM »

Yeah, Windows XP has large problems dealing with drive fragmentation.  It's not very good at handling a lot of data at once and then storing it in a good spot on the hard disk.  It tends to just throw stuff where it wants to and counts on you re-organizing it later.

I'd recommend defragmenting your harddrive.  The one included with XP is pretty good, but there is a better one that comes with Norton Utilities.

coolzero16

• Senior Modder
slowing down
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 02:43:00 PM »

yeah I defragged and cleaned all the temp files. If it continues I might just reformat, I don't have anything on this HD I can't put on a few cd-rws
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.