GideonTech.com Forums

• June 18, 2018, 03:51:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repeating wifi signal @ work  (Read 4263 times)

ice_man

• Senior Modder
Repeating wifi signal @ work
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Been a while since I've posted here....and after looking at my join date, it has been a long time since 2003, hah. 

I have been working at a remote location in AK for the last 6 years, and just recently got the OK from our higher-ups in Chevron to purchase a repeater for our wifi signal.  The purpose of this would be to shoot the signal about 150 yards to our construction man-camp for the crews when they are on site.  My question is, what all am I looking at having to buy to make this work?  We do have LOS to the camp from our quarters, so I'm guessing I might need a vertical repeater that is directed straight at the camp area?  Any suggestions and ideas would be awesome.
Dominating faces even in the Arctic.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Re: Repeating wifi signal @ work
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »

You may need a few access points in between to act as a bridge since 150 feet may be too far for an amp'd high gain ant.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

ice_man

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

After looking at some repeaters and reading up a bit, I have found a few that look just like our radio shot communications towers out here.  Granted that our microwave is probably a bit more powerful (and expensive) than a typical wifi repeater, it seems to be using the same concept of shooting the signal directly at the designated area.  These units are boasting "up to 1 mile away range, typically used for large parks and such". 

So my question to you Ed would be, would I have a better chance at just running some Cat5 from the existing AP about half way through the facility (50 yards or so), tie into a switch or something, then run another string of Cat5 off of that AP the rest of the way down to the final destination where there would be an actual AP setup for the camp?  Would this long of a run see a high amount of signal loss through the Cat5?  I'm just trying to find the most effective method of making this work without having to outsource the work onto a contract company (we tend to try and do alot of our work in-house).

Thanks in advance  :)
Dominating faces even in the Arctic.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »

50 yards to switch and then 50 more won't degrade the signal, you aren't near the max of cat5e (100m). I'd run the cat5e, wireless at that distance is a hit or miss.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.