GideonTech.com Forums

• June 23, 2017, 08:40:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project: Aluminum Water Cooling Case  (Read 40784 times)

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Project: Aluminum Water Cooling Case
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »

Another requirement for this case is a hidden door latching mechanism.

Look Ma!  No latches!

A length of .125x.75-inch flat bar was bolted to the bottom of the door to act as a lip that will hook into the u-channel along the bottom of the case, for example:

Along the top of the door, there is a piece of angle with three "hooks", which were routed out using a cobbled together router template. 

A thick piece of flat bar was filed down to where it'll slide easily inside the u-channel along the top of the case.  To that three "posts" were bolted to it.  When slid forward, the posts will engage the hooks.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »

A large area of the right side panel was cutout for a 16x15-inch acrylic window.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »

I made a mistake, placing the false back too far into the case, which required having to re-fabricate the back sheet.  But I figured I could take advantage of the situation by improving the mounting of the motherboard tray, by fastening the tray to the false back with a 7/8-inch long spacer.

I don't remember if I already offered this tip before, but I try to reduce the wear and tear on my 1/2-inch flush cutting router bit by first rough cutting with a 3/16-inch spiral downward cutting bit.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »

A PSU mounting plate was routed out of a piece .10-inch thick aluminum sheet with the help of a custom template.

In order to accurately transfer the locations of the PSU mounting holes, threaded hole transfer punches (mcmaster.com part #    3385A31) were threaded into a PSU.

And then the PSU was carefully centered and pressed into the sheeting, with the end result being a perfect squarely mounted PSU.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

Another router template was made to cutout the areas for the PSUs out of the back sheet.  A guide was clamped to the bottom of the template to keep the cutouts perfectly aligned along the bottom.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

Turned out that I needed to cut one more slot out of the bottom shelf. But the last time I used my wooden "small slot" router template, I somehow managed to crush one edge, so I quickly cobbled together a new out of some left over t-slot extrusion.  I'm really loving using these t-slot extrusions to make router templates - fast and accurate!

Here's a teeth-shattering video of me cutting out the slot.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »

Performed the mind-numbing task of fastening the bottom and top sheets to the case frame via flat head socket cap screws.  Through and countersink holes were drilled into the sheet and transferred to the case frame via a self-centering counterbore drill bit.

Bottom sheet all fastened:

And top sheet all drilled out:

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »

Drilled out the holes for the vandal resistant switches and fastened the front sheeting to the case.

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »

Finished the lower portion of the back sheet, which involved installing the PEM nuts, trimming the PSU mounting plates to the final size and creating an extra solid cover plate (which I almost forgot to do).

Rich

Spotswood

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 12:50:55 AM »

In order to ensure that the flat head bolts in the top sheet would sit perfectly straight and flush, I drilled slightly over-size through holes in the top u-channel so a hex nut could go onto the ends of the bolts.  But those nuts were now in the way of the sliding bar used to latch the side panels.  A fix for that was to mill-out those areas from underneath the sliding bar (via my handheld router).

The mill marks were quickly removed with some hand filing.

To prevent the sliding bar from falling out of the u-channel, some small pieces of aluminum angle were cut and attached to the channel.

But now the angles interfered with the latching hooks on the side panel, so those areas also had to be milled away (via a center-cutting mill on the drill press).

Finally, one leg of the angle that was used to make the latching hooks was visible through the side panel perforated aluminum, so that too required having to remove around 1/4-inch of material (via my trusty router).

Rich
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.