GideonTech.com Forums

• March 26, 2017, 11:47:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boost in system performance with video card instead of onboard video  (Read 3170 times)

BigCaseNoSpace

• Senior Modder

Hey guys been playing arround with some htpcs and i decided to throw a nvida gt 430 in my htpc just to see if it would make a difference in picture quality. Now the comp boots at least 5 seconds faster and windows media center loads instantly. Even netflcs seems to load faster has any one else experienced this? Im thinking of switching to a passive gt 450 since i had to cut a hole in my case so the 430 would be quieter and not pull air through the small holes in the side. Any idea if ambient air would keep it cool since the heatsink would stick through the side of the case?

Specs:
Thermaltake Element Q case (side modified for quiet fan)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel Gen1 Core I5 650
2 GB crucial 1333 DDR3
2 1tb WD Green 64mb cache
Nvidia Galaxy GT 430 (currently)
this card is pretty quiet only full size card i could find with a large fan in a 430
SilversStone 450 watt SFX power supply
Samsung Blu Ray Player

Let me know any ideas
[

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
Re: Boost in system performance with video card instead of onboard video
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:49 AM »

Having the heatsink outside the case would make the passive cooling work even better since it wouldn't be competing with the heat other components are putting out inside the case. If you can find a passive card with a sweet looking heatsink it could even be a nice piece of flair for your case. You need at least 15.

prophecy421

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »

That sounds about right for increased performance. I agree with flamingboard that
Having the heatsink outside the case would make the passive cooling work even better since it wouldn't be competing with the heat other components are putting out inside the case. If you can find a passive card with a sweet looking heatsink it could even be a nice piece of flair for your case.
Another thing you could do is find a nice aftermarket heatsink for the card you have, or mod one you like to fit your videocard. I used to mount CPU heatsink and fans to my videocards back in the day and they worked awesome.
Modding since 1992

BigCaseNoSpace

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »

Cool thanks guys im going to try to go with a sparkle passive 450 its the only one i have seen so far thats passive and that will cut down on some noise. Not really a big deal cutting the case again just making the hole larger. Card looks like this http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_pic1.asp?sub_id=408 So it should look pretty cool. I only have a single slot to mount it too so ill just cut the vent portion of the bracket off and mount it using where the cables plug in and the cooler will stick through the side. Maybe ill toss a pic up if it comes out ok. Thanks again.

Bigcase
[
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.