All right, good progress today! I got the power supply mounted, as well as the whole bottom IO plate made so I could install the motherboard and video cards. woot!
Ok, the power supply didn't quite fit at first lol. This is just one of those things that no amount of forethought and planning in Sketchup could prevent. With all the ribs in place, I couldn't work the psu into it's spot.
It wouldn't slide in sideways either. This is how I originally envisioned it going in, but for whatever reason, it was just too tight clearance-wise. (I blame it on the power supply's bulging rear mesh!)
So, I had to rethink the psu situation, and come up with a plan that will work better in the end. I decided to make a mounting flange that will bolt to the psu, then attach to the bottom framing. This way the psu can just drop down and out if I need to remove it later. So first thing was to start removing the lower portions of the ribs. Center rib went first.
Then I glued in some cross supports before cutting away the top and bottom rib sections. These supports will be where the flange will screw into.
Then I whipped up a couple handle-looking pieces, that will re-attach the rib sections together.
Here's the top handle glued in.
And the bottom handle glued, with the bottom rib section removed as well. Now the power supply can slip up into its place without any obstruction.
Here's the flange I made which will secure the psu to the framing.
With that done, I could turn my attention to the IO plate. I went to town on this piece, measuring and cutting all the openings and never once thought to grab the camera. So all you get is the finished pics, sorry!
The plate is secured to the ribs via tabs and 4 screws (2 on each side). I incorporated the DVI and HDMI openings into this plate as well, so I could do away with the rear video cards' IO bracket.
A close up of the motherboard IO ports.
And a close up shot of the video card ports. the DVI screws are what holds the video card in place, so no need for any IO bracket screws.
Here's a shot of the psu installed with the flange. I used 4 thumb screws to hold it in place. Two of which are shared by the IO plate.
Now that I finally have some hardware in the case, I can start installing some watercooling gear. If I can be as productive tomorrow as I was today, I might even be able to do some leak testing. Let's just hope I don't stumble upon any more harsh realities lol.
Thanks for reading!