I'm already well into this project, and will post a daily update until we get caught up. So here's the next installment:
Ok, so in the interest of time, I decided not to make these fairings out of fiberglass, or use my vacuum forming table, seeing as how I still have to rebuild it. Instead, I'll be forming the pieces with a plastic paste, which is a much quicker process. So the first step is creating a plug on which to lay the paste down.
So, time to cut some foam!
I laminated three layers of foam insulation sheets to get the thickness I needed. I also made up a template that minimized the amount of foam I had to use. In fact, all four fairing pieces will be molded from this one block of foam after I'm done with it.
There's a front and back fairing, and they are split into left and right mirrored pieces. Here's half my template, with the back fairing on top and the front upside down on the bottom. The gray and black lines show the difference between the edges of the fairing. Gray is the wider part (over the center of the tire) and the black is the narrower edge.
Using a hacksaw, I started doing the rough cuts around the gray lines.
Then with an electric carving knife, I started shaving off the foam, following the black lines and curving out to the wider edge.
One half roughed out, next to the other side.
Here's a shot of them side by side in their eventual places. You can now see the shape of the bike emerging.
Once I got the pieces roughed out, I used an exacto knife to get more accurate along the edges.
The thickness difference between both edges is 3/4". I marked my square with tape and slid it along the edge to see where I still needed to remove material. I used a drywall sanding block to smooth out the curves.
Both sides smoothed out. This is the back end...
And turning it over we have the front end.
Next I'll need to add some cardboard and sandwich it all together.