I picked up my fins from Pacific Waterjet & Laser
last week, and spent the entire weekend on them. They needed a lot of cleanup work around the edges.
But before cleaning them up, I tested out the spacing.
A shot from the back.
Close up of the rear mounting. You can see how rough the edges are.
Time to work on lettering. The words "Lenovo" and "Sensei" will be mounted in the middle of the fins, one on each side.
Taking the two middle fins, I cut them straight across, and made a sandwich with a piece of acrylic in the middle, leaving just a tiny bit of overhang.
After spacing the letters out, I glued them on, one at a time.
Fast forward past all the sanding and edge cleanup of the fins, and we have a mockup of the lettering in place. Because of the "L" I had to notch the next fin up as well.
The teaser shot I used earlier.
Skip past more sanding and polishing, and here's a shot of the first set of fins mounted in the base.
Repeat as necessary for the other side, and we have both sets in place.
The lettering could be lit up with a few led's, but I'm afraid I won't have time to do it before the show.
Getting really close to painting the base now! Gotta do some minor adjustments and body filling first.