GideonTech.com Forums

• December 14, 2017, 08:23:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug computer  (Read 6606 times)

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
Plug computer
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

Discuss. ;)

Ok, seriously, ever since I dropped in daily activity on GTF, my serious gadget knowledge has suffered! There are too many farms to tend and mafia members to off to just do the searching myself! ;)

Does anyone here have a plug computer and how do you like it? I'm considering getting one because they seem to be cheaper than NAS or home-built file servers -- and the fact that they're rather small is just too darn cute. ^_^

If you don't have one but know of them, well, wotcher think? Though Christmas is some months away but I want to drop this hint to my siblings about my biggest wish list item :D

Thanks!

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: Plug computer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »

Hmm, plug computer...  never heard of it til now... interesting...  *strokes his beard
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

Personally when I buy a computer, I spec it for a specific purpose. I wouldn't know what the purpose of a wall computer is, so it would be hard for me to say if it works well. I hear they're good for routers, low-load webservers / important secret file storage, and home automation. As for a NAS/fileserver, I just build those out of whatever old computer components I have lying around (probably parts from computers that got upgraded).

Now that I think about it though, I could plugin a usb monitor and have a functioning... whatever.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »

Yah, I'm thinking of using it for non-critical file storage but at the same time, if it ends up being reliable, I'll finally have automated backups. I like the fact that it consumes less power than a full-blown laptop (or desktop, for that matter!) but am wary of the reliability since it's fairly "new" technology (as it is, there are already heat problems w/ the CPU)... I guess I'll wait until it becomes more popular :)

Oh, here are some links:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/

Guru Plug Plus!
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:49:13 PM by RaDragon »

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »

I've definitely heard good things about the SheevaPlug.  I have considered getting one myself but I would not use it for a NAS, but rather to try and use it in in a car.  If you like small but would like more power + more expansion then you may want to check out the BeagleBoard xM or the IGEPv2.  All of them are capable of running a build of Linux like Ubuntu and all are extremely low power.  Compare them for power, size, and flexibility.  Maybe one catches your eye more than the others.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »

It should be reliable. It would be linux running on an arm processor.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

Thanks, guys!

I'll also check out that BeagleBoard xM, Mr. Frisch ^_^

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »

I've always wanted to learn how to program on a beagleboard or an arduino but A) i have no idea what i'd do with one and B) i'd have to learn from scratch.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »

I've always wanted to learn how to program on a beagleboard or an arduino but A) i have no idea what i'd do with one and B) i'd have to learn from scratch.

I think the first hurdle that you'd have to get over is that an Arduino is an extremely low-powered board with only a 16MHz CPU, analog/digital I/O, and a basic programming language that is based off of C.  A BeagleBoard is full-blown computer with an ARM CPU rather than an x86 CPU; it's low powered as well but nowhere near on the same scale.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »

i guess my point is i'd like to try programming on EITHER of them. but same drawbacks apply, where to start and do what with it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.