GideonTech.com Forums

• April 25, 2017, 09:33:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kill switch for subs  (Read 4653 times)

weeman901

• Case Mod Weenie
kill switch for subs
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »

bought toggle switch so can have a kill switch for my subwoofers. i know to use the remote wire but the switch has 3 brass connectors. power, acc, and ground. which connectors do i use since the remote wire is just a single wire.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
Re: kill switch for subs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

Need a little more info.  Are you trying to use a lighted switch?  If so, your gonna have to do a little creative wiring to get it to light up.  All you really need is a SPST switch to do what your trying to do.  Then all you do is cut the remote and splice in the switch (doesn't matter which wire goes on which side).  You do realize that you'll be shutting off the amp as well, right?  I guess if it's just a sub amp that won't be a problem.  If you have a meter that can test for continuity you could find out which of the terminals open and close when you throw the switch. 

Brian
Today, the choice is mine.

weeman901

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:38 PM »

yes it is an illuminated switch. my amp is used only for my subs. have bass reducers to all other speakers so my subs produce all the bass. i have the switch hooked up right now by just splitting remote wire and have stereo end on power and amp end on ground. but still want the switch to light up. will look better.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »

What voltage is the switch?  If it's a 12v switch it's not going to work without using a relay.  A remote turn on feed from the head unit wont supply enough voltage to light up the switch.  A 12v lighted switch usually has one terminal connected to ground, one connected to 12v, and the third (usually the middle) terminal would be the output.  Flipping the switch would close the circuit sending 12v to light up the switch, and also sending power to the output wire.  Sending 12 volts through the remote on wire would roach your amp quickly.  It's possible to do what you want, but more advanced wiring is necessary and difficult to explain here.  Maybe someone else can chime in here and help.

Brian
Today, the choice is mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.