GideonTech.com Forums

• June 23, 2017, 08:45:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question- How can I make holes that look like acid melted the metal?  (Read 3793 times)

genuisdog

• Case Mod Weenie

I have a project in mind once my (horribly ugly) briefcase computer is done with. I want to have holes in the sides that look like acid burned through them. I was thinking I could get the result by using an Oxyacetylene torch and not cleaning up the edges, but my old high-school has the last day of school tomorrow and my old welding teacher won't be able to let me in the shop for the rest of the summer.  (on the bright side, this means I've officially been a graduate for a whole year!)

anyways, items I do have access to are tons of automotive, carpentry, and household tools, a fair selection of metal working tools, a MIG welder, a propane blow torch, and a fairly small budget for my local hardware stores if need be. Any ideas?
The Guide is definitive, Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: Question- How can I make holes that look like acid melted the metal?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

I'd suggest you ask in a model-builder forum; ISTR the railway modelers are obsessed with rust effects, which might adapt well to acid-burns.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »

I've used epoxy to imitate the look of "molten" metal in the past.  Cut a rough hole, then using 30 minute epoxy, glob it all around and let gravity do the work for you.  If your wanting it to appear as though it's running down, simply stand the case on end so gravity pulls it the direction you want.  I hope this makes sense, and I don't have access to pics right now.  If you need more, let me know and I'll see if I can explain better.
Today, the choice is mine.

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »

Maybe if you get a block of styrofoam and drip gasoline on it to make the shape, then coat the whole thing in some kind of hard preservative? i think it's gasoline that eats away styrofoam.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »

I'm not sure about molten metal, but you could melt plexi, plastic, glass, or something easy to melt, and then paint it metallic
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.