GideonTech.com Forums

• December 13, 2017, 11:17:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first real Mod- Briefcase Computer  (Read 12289 times)

genuisdog

• Case Mod Weenie
My first real Mod- Briefcase Computer
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:14:43 AM »

So I recently built a computer because the parts were a whole lot cheaper than the assembled product from any manufacturer, and I absolutely loved the whole process. I started searching for mods I liked that I thought would be within my abilities, and found a couple of Briefcase computer mods, and decided on that. (Major thanks to Modnut of these forums for his project log of his briefcase computer, that's really what made up my mind to make this). I really want to keep track of my first real mod, so I decided I'd become a member of these forums, and hopefully stick around for plenty more mods. And so, onto the project log!

So far I've only got the case I'm going to be using, but I should be getting all the parts tomorrow.
Case is a 18" x 12-3/4" x 6" Aluminum Case from Harbor Freight Tools (25$)

I'm in the process of removing all that foam lining, which is much harder than I thought it would be. Anyone have advice on removing adhesive backed foam? I'm going to keep at it, but if someone posts some ideas on that, it'd be a huge help. I'll update once I've got the foam pulled, and the interior painted. While I'm at it, any ideas on a color theme? I'm thinking just silver and black like the outside of the case, but I'm also considering painting the outside so I can have a real color theme going on with LED's and CCL's.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:17:28 AM by genuisdog »
The Guide is definitive, Reality is frequently inaccurate.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: My first real Mod- Briefcase Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »

Idea #1: Use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.  Just make sure to not melt the foam as well or else you'll have a real mess on your hands.

Idea #2: Dissolve the adhesive with rubbing alcohol maybe.  Don't use acetone as the foam will likely dissolve as well.  There are other solvent you could try as well.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

genuisdog

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »

Idea #1: Use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.  Just make sure to not melt the foam as well or else you'll have a real mess on your hands.

Idea #2: Dissolve the adhesive with rubbing alcohol maybe.  Don't use acetone as the foam will likely dissolve as well.  There are other solvent you could try as well.

Thank you! the heat gun worked wonders! still got a good deal of residue left, but all of the actual bits of foam are pulled off. exactly the kind of mess Goo-Off excels at though, so I'm going to get to it :D

EDIT- good lord it's hot outside... June in Florida, who woulda guessed? 2 hours of scraping and rubbing and scrubbing and the case resembles something worthy of a base coat of primer. I've got the top and bottom painted with primer, and I'm going to let that dry before moving on to the sides. and then 1 or 2 more layers of primer. then paint. did I mention it's hot outside?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:55:22 PM by genuisdog »

genuisdog

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »

So I got the computer I'm going to be gutting for the briefcase. 175$. I have a feeling the case is going to be my next victim for modding :P

And here's the half-way point from painting the inside of the case. I went with metallic silver because I'm not very creative, and it'll reflect the lights that the case came with pretty nicely.

And the finished paint job with the parts laid out to make sure it all fits. I'm going to have to switch out the water cooler with a fan unless I can figure out a way to make room for the radiator.

I'm planning on cutting some sheet metal down to size to put in the bottom half to mount everything to, and then I've got to get my hands on a spare monitor, but this is coming along fairly well and quickly. I'm happy :)

Glitch

• Senior Modder
  • I'm a sing the doom song now!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

It looks good so far but why is the interior so lumpy? Did you just spray over the adhesive residue or is that the finish of the metal?  :wtf:
Chieftec Dragon (slighty modded)
E8400 w/ Freezer pro 7
Evga GTX 260 SC @ 650/1150 Mhz
4 Gb G. Skill DDR800 @ 4-4-4-12 2T
Ga p35 ds3l
Seagate 250GB HDD
Seagate 320GB HDD

IT AIN"T OCed IF IT AIN"T A LITTLE UNSTABLE

genuisdog

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »

yeah, I eventually gave up on trying to get off all the adhesive. If I do another one of these, I'm gonna find a case without any foam lining.... such a pain. So that looks kinda funky, but I'm sure I can pull of the "I meant to do that" act if any one asks. At the moment it's on standby because my truck broke down. that's getting all of my attention and money till I get it fixed. I'll post back once I get started back on it.

Well, I couldn't work on the truck today, so I finished painting the base plate, and put a logo on it. (The ''logo'' is really my birthday, but I like it a lot, to the point where my first tattoo was exactly that, as you can see here -http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/genuisdog/DSC00409.jpg). It won't be seen, but I just like knowing it's there :D

so here's the work done on the base plate. and yes, that's a midtower side panel. I picked it up on the side of the road one day driving though my neighborhood. Recycling is good for the planet, and the wallet!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:54:41 PM by genuisdog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.