GideonTech.com Forums

• April 25, 2017, 01:33:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unstable HD?  (Read 3186 times)

Styles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/lampskin
Unstable HD?
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »

I'm trying to diagnose a rather mysterious problem.  Perhaps one of you fine gentleman would be of assistance...

Every once in a while, my computer seems to freeze every 3 minutes for about 1 minute.

It's so hard to diagnose, because obviously I can't use task manager to check what services are running while the computer is frozen.  Also, it doesn't do this every time, but only occasionally.  A reboot usually fixes it. 

I'm going to run AVG, but my last scan was clean.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but every once in a while, the system will reboot by itself after first logging into window upon the initial boot sequence. 

Maybe a power surge or something could be causing this?  I've got a reliable UPS, I think...

My thoughts:  New HD?  I've tried defragging the HD, and didn't seem to help.  My HD is about 7 yrs old.

I was actually thinking of buying an external HD and backing up, then doing a HD swap and seeing if it helps.

Anyone?

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Re: Unstable HD?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »

There are many things to test, but if you think that's your HDD, then unplug it and boot with any live CD.

Styles

• Senior Modder
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/lampskin
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »

you mean like Knoppix?

So if it booted knoppix ok, then that would point to the faulty HD?

I guess even if it did boot knoppix ok, that would still mean that it could be some software or OS problem, not necessarily HD, right?

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »

you mean like Knoppix?

So if it booted knoppix ok, then that would point to the faulty HD?

I guess even if it did boot knoppix ok, that would still mean that it could be some software or OS problem, not necessarily HD, right?

Knoppix, ubuntu, fedora, etc all have Live CD variations - any option will work.

If it boots with a live CD and everything is kosher, then yes i would say its either the HDD itself or something in the OS is crapped; maybe a driver?...

Sooo, what i would do it run the live CD, and if that solves your issue i would first fdisk that 7yr drive and format/partition the badboy and install a fresh version of your OS.  That still doesnt solve your issue them get a new HDD and do step one....

That doesnt work, you either have MOBO or RAM issues.

easy enough...

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »

The first thing I would do is take a look at the SMART data from your hard drive.  That will, hopefully, tell you if there are any major problems.  I personally use SpeedFan's hard drive panel to do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.