GideonTech.com Forums

• October 21, 2017, 03:30:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Accord EX Carputer  (Read 41999 times)

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
2007 Accord EX Carputer
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »

I upgraded to a new car and with an upgrade to the car comes an upgrade to the computer.

The new PC specs as far as what I'm presently planning:
  • ZOTAC nForce 610i mini-ITX Motherboard
  • Intel Celeron E3300 2.5GHz Dual-core CPU
  • 2x Wintec AMPO 1GB DDR2-667 RAM
  • OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
  • Western Digital 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive
  • DSATX 220W DC-DC PSU

Other misc things going into the car include:
  • Kicker Impulse IX-405d Amplifier
  • JL Audio 12W3V2-D4 Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio MM6501 6.5" Component Speakers
  • Polk Audio MM691 6"x9" Component Speakers
  • Car2PC USB + Aux Input Interface
  • PAC Audio AOEM-HON20 Aux Output Interface
  • Whatever sound deadener I finally decide on

Here is a photo of the dashboard stock:

And here are a couple of photos of the parts due to go into the dash:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:22:30 AM by blafrisch »
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

YucA

• Elite Modder
Re: 2007 Accord EX Carputer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »

VERY nice!!!

Now, i have a silly question.  Why go that route when you can get a dual core atom that will suffice ANYTHING you could ever run inside of a car while keeping the electrical footprint at a minimum.

Running all that audio equipment, as well as an inverter for that PSU seems a bit intense for ANY Alternator...

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:32 AM »

An inverter for the PSU?  It's a DC-DC power supply, there is no inverter and it's higher efficiency than a AC-DC power supply.

Yep, dual core Atom would suffice.  If you look at the parts I purchased versus the cost of similar Atom based parts you will see that they are very close for comparable motherboard features (I think the Atom was actually a hair more because I got a combo deal).  As for power draw, right now you can see in the photo that it's running off of a AC-DC power supply.  I have it plugged into my Kill-A-Watt just out of curiosity and the draw is ~60W average (and it's not an 80+ PSU).  

In the car I'll also be powering a 7" touchscreen [12V], a USB (laptop) CD-ROM drive [5V], and a USB hub [5V].  I have an old M1-ATX which is rated for 90W, but to play it safe I got a new DS-ATX which is 220W max.  I figure the most I'll ever possibly draw is 110W.

As for the amplifier, it is kind of a beast.  I never do run it anywhere near it's maximum though.

I'm not in the least bit concerned though as I ran the same amp + a Carnetix P2140 in my previous vehicle: the 2003 Saturn ION.  The Accord I have is a V6 and its alternator definitely puts out more power than that in the ION.  I've already checked.  Just to play it even safer I am upgrading the big three as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:50:05 AM by blafrisch »
~ Wierd Al

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »

Yeaaaaa, im an ass...  I was just going by the pics and didnt notice you spec'd a DC-DC psu.

Seems like you have it all down packed pretty well.  Congrats for a slick setup!!!!

What OS you plan on rocking?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:43:39 PM by YucA »

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »

Windows XP Pro.  I have one more license that I can use for "academic" purposes before I graduate which is in ~ 1 month.  I've already nLite'd it and installed it on the PC. 

Boot time is ~23s from off to hour glass being gone. About 50% of that time is before XP even begins to load.
~ Wierd Al

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

Some progress has been made hacking up a piece where the computer itself will go.  

I was covering the front with wood mainly because it makes it a lot easier to fill with Bondo later on if there is a backing. It's just 1/4" plywood that I had sitting in my basement.  I also built most of the motherboard tray so far using aluminum and then wood sitting on top of said aluminum.  The aluminum is attached to the dashpiece with Locktite epoxy and via a machine screw.  I plan on adding a little more support for the back end.

Wish I had some more motherboard standoffs.  I may have to run to Tigerdirect (or CompUSA or whatever it is now) some day and see if I can get some there.

Photos:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:45:07 PM by blafrisch »
~ Wierd Al

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

Damnit I hate you.  I want a computer in my truck so bad.  Ok, I don't really hate you, but I still want one.  Looks good so far.  I wish this was possible when I was installing car audio and accessories way back in the day (like just around the time win 95 came out).  I would have loved it.
Today, the choice is mine.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »

Thank you for your dear words of hate.  :P

After getting home kind of late tonight I finished the supports on the motherboard/PSU platform.

I ordered some motherboard standoffs the other day too.  They are shipping from Hong Kong (eB@y, cheap) so I'll have them in like a week.

~ Wierd Al

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »

I decided that I could just gank some standoffs from a new case's parts that I wasn't actually using yet.  I now have the standoffs in place and just mounted the motherboard and PSU to make sure that everything fits nicely.

~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »

make sure you secure everything well (like that cpu cooler)... you're going to be hitting lots of bumps. it looks like you'll be using the standard cpu cooler, of which my clamps broke while sitting still...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.