GideonTech.com Forums

• June 27, 2017, 06:59:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Skool Home Server Old Skool Home Server (Power Rail Done)  (Read 12120 times)

Silv8rfox

• Case Mod Weenie

I'm an avid XBMC user and presently use my htpc to stream media around my house to 4 Acer Revo's. My drive space reqs are getting crazy so its time to "up my game" as far as the server is concerned. The new server will contain 11 HD's, 8 in Raid 5 and the HTPC (presently doing the job) will be replaced with a small atom based Revo or similar.

The problem I have been facing with this project is the sheer amount of space reuired for the PC and drives. I was originally going to mod a piece of living room furniture to act as my server but then I saw this "old Skool" beauty :)

Its a AT compaq presario 3000 server with a SCSI based drive cage. It is a large case perfect for my air cooling reqs. Its on castors and is about the depth of 2 cases side by side.

After a touch and go bidding session on ****, I picked up this beauty for 99p! It requires a lot of work as the machine takes a server MB and is an AT based machine.

My plan is to rip out the guts of the machine and make the case more ATX friendly for my existing ATX MB.

Stay tuned as the rear panel is already under way ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:07:34 AM by Silv8rfox »

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: Old Skool Home Server
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »

Just curious, are you using Revo 1600's or it's older brother?  I'm kinda thinking of getting one and it seems to be a favorite of xbmc users.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Silv8rfox

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Im using Revo 3600's. Very cheap without an OS. With a minimal ubuntu setup you get full 1080p 24 output from the GPU. Its possibley the best off the shelf system for XBMC. Best thing about them in my opinion is they are completely silent when running which lets face it is important in an HTPC.

Melancholinpolly

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »

I have a 1600 i got for 92 bucks from my job (go employee discount). and i'm running win7 with XBMC but for the life of me i can't get the resolution right on my 720 samsung and it will very barely play 720 video. i'm quite annoyed lol.

Silv8rfox

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:12:50 AM »

Win 7 doesnt have an ion gpu video acceleration. You could try coreAVC but personally I would go the linux route. XBMC under linux has full vpau support on the REVO so you get flawless 1080p playback without the cpu hitting over 8% load. You would also stop having problems with your TV. If you need win 7 on your revo it might be worth trying XBMC Live and booting it off USB.

Anyway got the backplate sorted.....*phew. The original plate was AT an had room for 2 huge compaq power supplies. I removed it all and created a new plate from a sheet of 1mm aluminum.

original:

New:

I cut holes for the 2 rear fans and the new ATX support and plate and trimmed it off with c-Channel as my little one is putting his fingers in everything at the moment!! I cut some small 120mm squares of mesh for the fan gaurds and fitted 2 transparent led fans.  I used a ratchet to rivet the expansion card support to the back of the plate so everything stays sturdy....so far so good :)

Silv8rfox

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Old Skool Home Server (Jigsaw fun!)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:26:32 AM »

Busy weekend. I put a lot of time into the server and I am pretty pleased at the progress I've made. I cut the side window of the case. It turned out very clean considering it was the the only section of the mod I've been concerned about. Only concerned as I dont think I could find a replacement panel anywhere! I trimmed off the window cut although it came out so well I dont think it really needed any trim. Might return to that when the acrylic arrives. The top blowholes were cut with a holesaw. This gave a very smooth cut with practically filling required to finish the holes.

Blowholes:

The most noticeable progress to the mod has been the construction of the new drive cage. The original cage (see first post) was oddly shapped and required scsi drive bays. The drives I will be using are all SATA2 . I still wanted to be able to remove the cage of drives for maintenance. So using the original cage supports I created a new solid drive cage out of 1mm aluminum.

Test Cage:

Once the sizing and testing of the cage was complete. (There was a slight size issue, thank god for files eh?) I fitted the new fans for the cage and screwed in the drive supports. Slight measurment miscalculation that resulted in only being able to fit 10 drives in the cage. But I will produce a secondary cage for the remaining drives. The finished cage looks and operates quite effectively.

Finished outside:

Finished Inside:

Next up: Drive cage 2 and intake fans.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:31:11 AM by Silv8rfox »

Silv8rfox

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Old Skool Home Server (Power Rail Done)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »

Been a little busy working on the new server room...aka the cupboard under the stairs  :lol: But have managed to get a bit more done on the mod.

I put in the new intake duct and have cut the front platform to install the second drive bay. All the case cutting is now done and finally got round to cutting the acrylic for the window.

I modified some molex splitters I found on ebuyer and used them to create a more organised power rail for the mod. The power supply I will be using has 2 distinct 12v rails. Considering that I will be using 13 HD's in this mod a little spliiting will be required. Heres my solution full of old skool LED lighting  ;)

Thats it for now...next up front panel and hardware installation.

apollos84

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Old Skool Home Server Old Skool Home Server (Power Rail Done)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »

Sweet case.
I saw one of those server cases about five years ago on **** for 100.00 plus shipping.

That's a cool case. I would love to have one of those as a toy. Is it a quad pentium pro?

nice modding so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.