GideonTech.com Forums

• February 20, 2017, 10:01:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need more storage  (Read 6582 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
need more storage
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »

is it possible to hack a device with microsd storage to use another type of storage (say regular sd or some other flash memory type)? 16gb isn't enough storage :(

i would imagine that since a regular sd card adaptor can read a micro sd card, in theory the reverse would be possible if i knew the pinouts

bliq

• Elite Modder
Re: need more storage
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

Do you mean you want make something external to the device that can hold say, an SD card or something?  I don't doubt it's possible to extend a mSD card to a ribbon cable that ends in a USB port that you can plug anything into- but I don't think it would be very sturdy.  You need some good, fine soldering skills- and if you're going to mess up a perfectly good mSD card- go sell your 16GB one and buy a 256MB one and cut that up.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »

maybe this would help:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Digital/Inside_miniSD_Adapter.shtml

It seems like it's just a clean passthrough, take away an unused pin here or there.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »

Yeah, a ribbon cable kind of setup is what I was hoping for. On my phone I could pass it underneath the battery cover and attach a full sized SD card or whatever to the outside of the battery cover, and then cover it with something else to make it look nice.

I have a 256mb SD card lying around unused (it came with an old phone) so I may try a ribbon cable from one card holder to another and see if it works. It shouldn't fry a motherboard's USB ports or anything right?

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

On a related note, the DROID is stated to have a max microSD capacity of 32gb; possible to exceed with an SD card?

snow veil

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »

On a related note, the DROID is stated to have a max microSD capacity of 32gb; possible to exceed with an SD card?

Unlikely unless the firmware is updated to support capacities higher than 32GB.  SDHC is limited to 32GB as well, "SDXC" is going to utilize a newer filesystem to support 64GB and above.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 01:02:33 AM »

it's just linux, i think it really shouldnt be hard to update the filesystem / max storage / partition

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »

Sadly, it's only based on Linux, and I am uncertain that firmwarez will be updated. Now rooting the phone might yield a different story...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.