GideonTech.com Forums

• January 23, 2020, 10:08:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant on OEM-only kit  (Read 3632 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Rant on OEM-only kit
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »

A few days ago, I swung by a local computer shop doing a clearout sale.  Bought what looked like a nice sound card for five dollars.

Turns out it's a SB0770 -- a particular X-Fi model designed for OEM use only.

Now, I don't have an inherent problem with making a product custom for an OEM.

What bothers me is when the companies pretend it doesn't exist.

The SB0770 is not mentioned on their site at all; everyone mentions it's not a typical card and evidently needs special hoops jumped through to work.  There are apparently about 24 different versions of X-Fi drivers, standard and alterred, and it's going to be a mess sorting it out.

I may revert to the Realtek onboard instead.

It's not just them though.

I have a Sony PC I bought at a junk shop ($20)-- it contains a LGA775 board with a 945G chipset.  An Intel board.  Should be easy-- surely a company like Intel would keep records.

Nope.  No way to get BIOS updates or even model details from them.  I'd like to know if I can slap a low-end Core 2 CPU or not.

Two choices, as I see it:

If it's really an OEM-only product, don't brand it at all.  Brand it as the OEM, to truly make it clear to the world that the product is only the OEM's problem.

Or just provide the resources for when the part appears in the wild-- and it will-- I notice plenty of shops selling SB0770s-- to solve it.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Re: Rant on OEM-only kit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »

probably too old to list or a variant that is supposed to be compatible with some other model.  I found it hard to look for anything about an Audigy Gamer card.  product ID only showed a useless accessory for it but it's not really listed anywhere else, including anything about drivers and such.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »

I never liked Soundblaster because of their support, I'm talking about drivers and help.

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

For $20, I'd be inclined to use CPUID or something to get the exact chipset name, and then try installing intel's standard BIOS for it.  If it bricks, it's only $20.  If not, then you're set.  Buying used stuff is always a crapshoot. Today I bought a celeron 2.66 in a box with a fan for $5.  If it doesn't work, then at least the fan is still worth $5 to me so it's still a good buy.  If neither works (which I doubt), well I guess I won't be going to Starbucks tomorrow...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.