GideonTech.com Forums

• August 21, 2017, 08:34:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BSOD during windows install wtf? help  (Read 18194 times)

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
Re: BSOD during windows install wtf? help
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »

In my opinion the mb sounds plausible...my brother suggested flashing the mb but one thing is trying to find it to download...dfi isnt the best for older model mb. It is a Dfi land party UT nforce 250 gb

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

does anyone know a good power supply tester i can download...my psu is a enermax 460w single rail about $88 new(2 yrs ago)

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »

Like x24 said, check the caps on the board. I had 2 comps that i had to recap due to a similar problem. They may be leaking but sometimes they may just be bulging on the top.

A power supply tester is a hardware item, not software, and all the ones ive seen only tell you if its (v+ rail) dead or not.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »

if you can boot into the OS, there is software that will tell you what voltages the system is getting, though honestly i forget what that software is, its been so long since ive used it

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »

Some bios's will show you the voltages for cpu and the 5 and 12's.

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

hey divide, what exactly do i need to check on the mb? caps?......Update for the past 2 days i havent yet had a blue screen only been using internet and had media player going for short periods, since it seems to restart mainly when im doing alot on the comp "prolonged" movies with media player...Just one more thing after this all worked for a while i shut it down to put my other stick of ram in and when i restarted i got disk read failure please insert disk error during post...unhooked my 2nd hd and it booted up dosent do this all the time but any ideas why it does that?

update...tied a diff psu same result(so ruled that out), comp wont read disk error in post now can get to windows very easy anymore
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:10:43 AM by Soldner »

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

the capacitors on the motherboard have a tendicy to go bad over time. When the go bad they start to bulge. If they vent you'll see some brown crystalized ooze on the top. In order to check them you should gut the pc or take out the motherboard and look it over really good in a well lit room. If you arent confortable replacing them your self there may be a small electronics shop in your area that may be able to help.

Your symptoms are almost the same as what was happening with my compaq, it was fine for internet, but after a few minutes of WoW it would hard lock. I blamed it on my wife since I didnt play at the time. When I was putting it back together for her so she would get off my new pc that replaced it, I noticed the bulging cap and it all fell into place. I replaced it with a new one and not a problem since.

If you take it somewhere take it to a mom and pop shop, dont take it to radioshack or bestbuy. Otherwise you may want to start looking at a new board.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

Soldner

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »

wow thanks last post, 4 capacitors next to the chip(the clump) has at least 4 bulged and brown sh*t on them...guess ill take it some where... just curious what causes this and whats the deal with that? thanks for your posts

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »

There is a fair amount of info here (badcaps.net). As with anything on the internet id take it with a grain of salt. The recapping section is pretty good though. Good luck!

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

Nice find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.